floatation runners

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glenbo8391

Reaction score
I've got my 1432, and its good for 2 people, I haven't tried having three people (bringing someone all the way out to the lake just for them to have to sit on the truck while we fish usually doesn't make people want to give you a hug :lol: ) So I had this idea. I've seen some people on here putting flotation pods off the transoms of their boats to allow for a heavier motor, why not make a flotation strip or runner along the bottom of the boat? I was thinking making them from sheet aluminum filled with closed cell foam, running the length of the flat part of the boat with one on the far right, and on on the far left like in my poorly drawn paint sketches.I'd attach them by riveting them into each rib, possibly replacing the original to keep the holes drilled my me to a minimum. Does anyone know if this has been done by any manufacturers, if anyone's done it them selves, or know someone who did? How'd it work? I'm thinking they'd add about 100 extra pounds to the max capacity, and possibly make it a little less tipsy with them being on the outside edge of the boat?

float runners 1.png

float runnners 2.png

that would take lots of fabrication and actually will want to lean over even more (since you would effectively be raising the whole boat's center of gravity). your time and money would be better spent just getting a larger boat.

What He ^ said. :)

Thought about similar things, but a lot of help here, and web searching, kind of dissuaded me from even trying a less labor-intensive mod. Neat idea, but it won't work. :)

If anything, putting sponsons on the outside, as you mentioned in your post, would be of greater help, but then you have trailer-width issues, and really, one heck of a lot of time and money to make your boat be not what you really want.

Sorry. Outriggers were the brightest and best idea that folks came up with.

Best wishes.

Like others said your raising the center of gravity..it probably will make it more tippy...

Outriggers even above the water line on the sides would help. Meaning as it tipped the outrigger would stop you from tipping more. I have thought of making something like this on a Kayak or two I have for the kids but I bet it would work just fine on a tin just make it bigger...lol

I think what you are suggesting would not really work. I think trying to fabricate flotation pods along the length of the boat could however give you more buoyancy and a more stable platform, and if done correctly--would not add that much more drag. If you tried that, you would essentially be widening your boat.

Is it worth the trouble? That's up to you... If you have the access to cheap sheet metal and the pour foam, and your handy and like projects, go for it! But if you pay anywhere near retail for the materials, you would be MUCH better off selling your boat and buying a bigger one.

Sorry to disagree with the rest but I have done that with great success.It does not make it more tipsy & it does help with buoyancy.
The only negative that I have is the boat is very responsive when up on plane.
Mine are welded on.Riveting does not sound good.They have to be water tight to be effective.
I go 170# & I can kneel on the gunnel with my feet over the water & do not tip over.

Attachments

• boat mod bbb 004.jpg
    boat mod bbb 004.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 459
I've found that the best solution to problems like this is to sell your current boat and use that money toward a boat that better suits your needs.

Redneck engineering a boat really kills the resale value and makes it less attractive to potential buyers when you decide to upgrade.

crazymanme2 said:
Sorry to disagree with the rest but I have done that with great success.It does not make it more tipsy & it does help with buoyancy.
The only negative that I have is the boat is very responsive when up on plane.
Mine are welded on.Riveting does not sound good.They have to be water tight to be effective.
I go 170# & I can kneel on the gunnel with my feet over the water & do not tip over.

How wide is/was the boat? How long?

Thanks.

Mine is 1432. If I can find the materials for the right price and my welder can find time, I might try it and maybe instead of having them flush with the sides of the boat, have them go past some so it'll widen the boat some too. Kinda like a mix between that and sponsons?

Latest posts