Should I Buy ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crow_zach

Reaction score
Suppose to pick up tomorrow. Its a 12ft flat bottom. Unsure of the width but pretty sure it looks like 32in maybe 36in. Guy said it has two small holes from rocks in river. He said hes had them patched with duct tape and doesnt leak. My question is if thats the case if i repair it right should it be fine? How should I repair it JB marine, 3m 5200, or have it welded? Also was looking for really a 1448 jon boat but figured for the price I could grab this for now. I have a colmen crawdad right now thats plastic and is 12ft long and 32 in wide. Would i be happier with aluminum boat the same size or would it be more stable then the plastic one? thanks want to make sure i just dont waste my money.

Attachments

• b.png
    b.png
    207.5 KB · Views: 596
  • bo.png
    bo.png
    184.6 KB · Views: 596
I see 3 half *** patch jobs on the bottom, which is 3 too many to me....... #-o I wouldn't buy it

I bought my 1232 in very similar shape for 50 bucks. I got both patches for the 2 wholes in it welded on out of aluminum angle (they were on the ribs) for $15. 65 dollar boat that now doesn't leak whatsoever and is perfect to take in small water and not worry about? I'd say you can't beat that deal with an egg beater. I say offer him 50 and if he'll do it, take it home and get it fixed right.

Before I bought this, I'd look to see if you can find someone that can weld it up and make it water tight. Also check on what that would cost. Some shops are cheap and others are very expensive. It might not be worth it. I do know that I wouldn't go out in this with a duct tape patch! No way!

I saw this one on craigslist the other day (atlanta). It's going to be small and tippy. Hold out for a 1448.

I dont think that the difference in aluminum vs plastic will make the slightest bit of difference in the ammount of "tippyness"

If he was looking to give it away...of course I would take it...but seriously. You already have a 12' boat.

You don't say how much he wants for it....if its cheap enough thengo for it but it is not going to be much differnet than your other boat...plus depending on the design of your other boat the jon my be lighter and a little more tippy...maybe not but its a thought...

I'd wait unless its just really cheap and you could make some money off it by fixing it right...Weld if you can or 5200 if its small enough.

I concure with the others, I would keep using my Coleman until I could find the 1448 that you want.

To me those holes look like root which means the metal around there would be thin and the welder would have to cut back to good metal.

I'd say pass and keep looking, unless it free.

You could spray it with Flex Steel it worked on the row boat on the commercial with the screen door in the bottom. :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2:

Run away!

Even if it was free my thought would be why waste your time fixing it up. When you know you want something bigger. Save your project money for the boat you really want.

Yah....if it was free I would probably take it and sell it for $50. ;)

Seriously though - wait for what you want...no point in just getting something else to be unhappy with.

Out buildings or shops and tackle boxes have this formula. "Figure exactly how big you need it, and go 3X bigger". This might apply to boats as well.

If it's not what you want, why adopt a headache?

Latest posts