Removing Decal Adhesive

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Backslider

Reaction score
Hello
I'm refurbishing 1980s Alumacraft Backtroller 17 and am trying to prep it for painting. I'm removing the boat-long decals (stripes, manufacturer name, model name)with a heat gun and they coming off but leaving a tacky adhesive on the hull. I'm thinking of trying to get rid of this stuff with an orbital sander, acetone, or wire brush wheel. Before trying that I thought I'd ask and see if anyone know if those methods will damage the hull. I plan on painting the boat with a swamp grass camo pattern. Thanks!

Be careful with WD 40 as paint doesn't like it. The painters I know say it's a pain to get off. From the smell of it Goo Gone is the same thing.

When I refreshed the numbers on my boat I used a heat gun to remove and then lacquer thinner and acetone to get rid of the glue. Actually the lacquer thinner worked the best. I used an old wash cloth for the rag.

Well, I tried some paint thinner and denatured alcohol...I think this is going to be a big time elbow grease project. The decals covered much of the hull. Maybe I'll need to try some grain alcohol :) Would it hurt anything to use a rotary wire brush on it?

knotted wire brush on a angle grinder, if it's bare alum and your just trying to strip left overs off and you plan on painting it anyways. Fast an easy and dont be alarmed when you scuff up the alum, i used the grinder to strip my entire boat and the paint stuck nicely and you cant even tell it was scuffed.

JamesM56alum said:
knotted wire brush on a angle grinder, if it's bare alum and your just trying to strip left overs off and you plan on painting it anyways. Fast an easy and dont be alarmed when you scuff up the alum, i used the grinder to strip my entire boat and the paint stuck nicely and you cant even tell it was scuffed.

Agree as long as you're just removing the left overs. Too much sticker and/or glue and you'll end up with more of mess than you started with.

If I remember right I rubbed the lacquer thinner on with a rag let it sit for a few seconds, then took a putty knief and scraped off the heavy stuff then used the dampened rag to remove the rest.

I wasn't painting or I would have used the knotted wire brush method after removing the stickers with the heat gun.

The results are in. I tried denatured alcohol, lacquer thinner,paint thinner, acetone, Goof Off, and WD 40 trying to remove the 40 acres of 30 year old decal adhesive on my boat. WD 40 was the hands down winner. Still it took 2 hours last night with the WD40, a wire brush, and a scraper to clean 3/4 of the way down the 17 foot boat. I hope the fish will appreciate all the work that's going into this...

Backslider said:
The results are in. I tried denatured alcohol, lacquer thinner,paint thinner, acetone, Goof Off, and WD 40 trying to remove the 40 acres of 30 year old decal adhesive on my boat. WD 40 was the hands down winner. Still it took 2 hours last night with the WD40, a wire brush, and a scraper to clean 3/4 of the way down the 17 foot boat. I hope the fish will appreciate all the work that's going into this...

WD40 has also been known to be an effective chumming agent. :roll:

Backslider,

Check out my build in my sig. In it, you'll find where I found a couple chemicals that were highly effective with both sticker/paint removal and carpet glue removal. Sure saved me a lot of muscle work.

For whatever reason, Acetone worked best in my case...

Thanks to some tips I read around here (in this thread), I decided to try using a heat gun to remove this old decal.

BoatProject003.jpg

First, apply heat to sticker

BoatProject005.jpg

And it will scrape off easier than scaling a fish

BoatProject006.jpg

To remove the adhesive residue, I wasn’t sure what to use and set up a little “test”

BoatProject007.jpg

First up were Goo Gone and WD-40, they both worked okay, but required more elbow grease than expected.

BoatProject008.jpg

Once I tried Acetone, in my case anyways, it was the hands down winner. Didn’t get around to trying anything else.

BoatProject011.jpg

Go to auto paint store. there is a glue remover for the big decals they are putting on now. I can not remember name of it though. Bought a pickup from a business that had huge decals on each side. I tried about all above mention items. then talked to guy who used this product. I sprayed it on pealed sticker off, sprayed again, whipped it off with rag it was really that easy.

I just finished pulling up old linoleum and vinyl tiles in two bathrooms at my son's house. I found a citrus (orange) based floor tile remover at Lowes that did a decent job of getting the old mastic off of the concrete floor. Flooring glue is one of the worst things to try and remove IMO.

I found that when I used the heat gun on the inside of the hull the decals peeled off the the outside of the hull real well, and only left a little bit of adhesive. The adhesive came off with WD40 and a scraper, but it was still a lot of scraper work.