Trapper's .02 on Tractor & Implement Paint & what I learned.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trapper02

Reaction score
Well Friday rolls around go grab some "Valspar Tractor & Implement Spray Paint" I decided on this paint because, i think, well tractors are some heavy duty equipment and in the elements so this should be some good stuff. I to start painting my smaller trailer parts. I like to paint the small stuff first to give me practice, and I am glad i did.

I begin painting a few items and right away, love this paint! Going on nice, thick, and drying smooth. So i paint a few parts and decide i'll go the 2nd coat on Saturday morning.

Saturday morning hits and dang after this paint has sit it really dries great! shiny, smooth. I can scratch it slightly with my finger nail, but not bad and it takes effort. So I think heck yea i put on the 2nd coat and this stuff will be rock solid!

So i get setup and start painting the 2nd coat and then... wtf is that? In some spots its... spider webbing? Sort of wrinkling the paint. Not all over only in some spots. Well crap what did i do? Sprayer looks good, paint coming out smooth. No clue. So i begin to read the side of the can and i come across this...

"Paint is dry to handle after 1 hour" (ok, i think to myself, cool cool.) Then i see this... "Recoat within 4 hrs, or wait after 36 hr to apply 2nd coat, paint may wrinkle and lift."

Well darn look what happens when u actually read the directions. haha Just thought i would share my experience and get it on the boards encase some else is needing info on deciding on what paint to use and what to expect when using Valspar Tractor & Implement Spray Paint

Also a note i went to put on those "shiny" new square u bolts, and spring bolts, man they look pretty with that sliver against the shiny black. Now it hasn't been 36 hours and that may be some of it needing time to settle, but in the process of tightening bolts and the U-bolts just rubbing a little on the springs, there goes some of my new paint. :( and a little of the primer showing through afterwards. I will for sure do a retouch/2nd coat after 36 hours and let it sit for 36 hours before reattaching to see if this improves the quality of the paint.

Other than that it looks great! A little elbow grease and fresh coat of paint its amazing how something old can look so new. I'll post some pics in my "working on my trailer" thread. When this thing is done it will look sweet being towed with my black jeep wrangler.

Link to paint pics. https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25048&p=261459#p261459

If you have used the Tractor & Implement Paint feel free to share your results after having plenty of time to settle. :)

Nothing used the ole rattle spray can. Maybe i would be better off rolling this stuff and adding the hardener.

I just like the simplicity of using a spray can is the reason i didnt roll it on. But maybe i should so i can then use the hardener for a stronger coat.

Trapper02 said:
Nothing used the ole rattle spray can. Maybe i would be better off rolling this stuff and adding the hardener.

I just like the simplicity of using a spray can is the reason i didnt roll it on. But maybe i should so i can then use the hardener for a stronger coat.

I used the ace hardware international tractor red implement. Rolled what I could and rattle canned the hard to reach places worked out good. Glad I did too because the other day loading the boat in the wind I kind of took some paint off the top of a fender. Rattle can to the rescue!

In some spots its... spider webbing? Sort of wrinkling the paint

Some folks pay a great deal of money to have the artistic effect of spall or forged texture added to their custom work. Nicely done!

:)

HAHA that's one way to look at it!

I'm gonna do another scratch test on Monday, that way it's had about 48 hrs to sit. And see how well it holds up after a lengthy drying time. Although I have read that it can take even longer to really harden up since I am using ole rattle can and can't apply the "hardener" with it like u do when u roll it on.

I have ZERO experience with the rattle can Valspar Enamel but I have used the Valspar Implement Enamel in gallon form with hardener on my wrecker boxes for years. It takes a good week to get a real hard cure but once it does you can throw chains, hooks and auto parts around on the stuff all day with out a scratch in it. I would not hesitate to paint a boat with it at all but I would reduce add hardener and spray it on. I would challenge anyone to tell the difference in shine and smoothness over a $100 gallon automotive paint.

This ole' GMC was painted with Valspar Implement:

IMAG0073.jpg

I will be spraying my boat with this paint this week. I will be using a hvlp sprayer and using the hardener. When using the hardener how long do you recommend waiting in between coats? I will post pics when finished.

I dont know about the non rattle can option but you have to do the 2nd coat within 4 hours, or wait after 36 hours to apply the 2nd coat.

Looking forward to see how it come son on a boat. I am just using it on my trailer. Still undecided on what paint to use on my boat. But if I did use this paint on my boat i would roll it on and use the hardener as suggested by others.

oukast said:
I have ZERO experience with the rattle can Valspar Enamel but I have used the Valspar Implement Enamel in gallon form with hardener on my wrecker boxes for years. It takes a good week to get a real hard cure but once it does you can throw chains, hooks and auto parts around on the stuff all day with out a scratch in it. I would not hesitate to paint a boat with it at all but I would reduce add hardener and spray it on. I would challenge anyone to tell the difference in shine and smoothness over a $100 gallon automotive paint.

This ole' GMC was painted with Valspar Implement:

God i love that body style, they make all the new trucks look cheap and plastic, i think dodge is the only one who still stayed some what true to their style for the last 15 years.

Latest posts