Need a guesstimate amount of rivets to order?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveInGA

Reaction score
After some deliberation, I've decided to use the close end blind rivets for all riveted areas because I want maximum strength and that's what was used originally for most locations. What I'm not sure of is what sizes to order.

I drilled out many rivets removing the back deck and some of the rivet holes were damaged, though not all. I've went back and measured most of the holes. They all appear to be 3/16" diameter.

I'm wondering if I should order two sizes. One, the original size of 3/16" and the next size up in places where rivets holes damaged (whallared/ovaled out a bit) by drilling out have to be drilled a size larger.

If anybody can recommend two sizes and a quantity that's likely to "get er done," I would greatly appreciate, as I'd rather have leftovers that be nearly done and not have enough rivets.

Thank you for your help,

This is what i used, I bought two boxes of 50 to do my floor, I evenly spaced them, seems like i have 25 left. I would get 3 boxes for what you plan to do to be safe, mcmastercarr is in Atl as well, quick to ship.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-rivets/=hf4yt5
98778A501

98778a502p1l.png

The next size up from 3/16 is 1/4, but you have to have the heavy duty setting tool for the 1/4.

I buy all of my rivets from Jay Cee's:

https://www.rivetsonline.com/rivets-en/blind-rivets-en/closed-end-blind-rivets.html

I ordered a variety of sizes and grip lengths when I refurbished my boat last year and replaced well over 100 rivets in various locations. I had several 3/16th holes that were elongated and needed to be over-sized to 1/4" for clean-up. After I saw how well the 1/4" rivets worked, I went ahead and over-sized most of the remainder. I like the added heft of the 1/4" and how tightly they pulled-up, especially when using an aluminum washer on the butt. Just make sure you have at least 1.5x the diameter of the rivet to the edge of the structure for proper edge margin to prevent cracking and you'll be fine. I bought most of mine form Jay Cee's as well.

jigngrub said:
The next size up from 3/16 is 1/4, but you have to have the heavy duty setting tool for the 1/4.
I have a pneumatic tool that should handle it and if it doesn't, there's a Harbor Freight 20 minutes away in Athens.

I buy all of my rivets from Jay Cee's:

https://www.rivetsonline.com/rivets-en/blind-rivets-en/closed-end-blind-rivets.html

Thank you for the link. Their setup makes it easy to order and figure out what you want from them. Probably order mine there too.

Ordered 300 3/16" diameter, 1/2" long closed end rivets to start with. I'm thinking that should be a good start. If I need any larger rivets or more, I'll order when I get down to the third box or "as needed."

I'm lucky in that not only do I have lotsa HSS drill bits, but my wife bought me a Drill Doctor for Christmas last year, so I can sharpen dull bits and keep going. Gotta love a woman like that. :)