Newbie suggestions on what Jon Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

y2k600f4

Reaction score
New to the forum; been checking it out- a lot of great info !

Newbie to boating but from my research I am looking for an aluminum Jon boat primarily for lake fishing with the family and some salt water flats would fit my needs. Would like it to be able to haul 6 people on occasion but will be mostly 2-4 people; it looks like I need to be looking for an 18 footer ?

Not looking for anything too fancy, just dependable and additional features are a plus. Would like a 4 stroke engine something not too big or too small.

Any suggestions what I should be looking at as far as boat size and HP or what brands/models I should keep my eyes open for? Thanks.

Bugpac said:
IMO, go 18' you wont regret it.

Thanks. That's what I was thinking. If I can find a decent 18' with a trailer I'd like to do some resto/mods e.g. painting/decking etc then find myself a good used outboard...size and type TBD.

There's a G3 that I saw on craigslist by me and not horribly far for you. May be worth checking into. Priced fairly good. 19' CC....

https://tallahassee.craigslist.org/boa/2995699829.html

Badbagger said:
There's a G3 that I saw on craigslist by me and not horribly far for you. May be worth checking into. Priced fairly good. 19' CC....

https://tallahassee.craigslist.org/boa/2995699829.html

Thanks for the info ! However I was hoping to find something local. So far my search is fruitless, all that I am seeing is 12-14' Jon boats, defineatley too small for what I am looking for.

Keep checking Craigslist. CL Pro(Apple) lets you check all over your state, or any state, not just your city. When I found mine, it was the only one for sale in Texas and I had to go down to the coast to get it. Boat Trader is also a good source since you are looking at 18' +.
Love my G3.. :mrgreen:

Don't pass up a deal because the motor is a 2 stroke. Nothing wrong with them.

My opinion, having a 4 stroke.
A 4 stroke might be more friendly maintenance wise. Its just like a car, new plugs, oil and oil fiter and such things and you're running. Just add gasoline and voila. 4 strokes are way more cleaner than 2 strokes.

The downside of 2 stroke Etec, is that they need special oil. The engine cant run without this special oil. If you ever get in the middle of water with an Etec without oil, you might end up with an expensive paper weight.

Its a matter of preferences. 4 Strokes tend to last ages and ask for much less stuff than 2 strokes special needs.

seeings how you live down south you should check out Weldtbilt boats.They has nice flat bottoms in .80 and .100 alumimum and can be made how you wants them.price is hard to beet to.I was thinking of geting one some time back but ended up buyin a used 1648.The 18 to 20 footer wood be very nice,next one i buy will be a 20 square nose from Weldbilt :mrgreen:

Thanks everyone for the tips, they are greatly appreciated.

I am open to a 2 stroke, won't pass up a good deal.

Not seeing anything larger than 12-14' on craigslist and boat trader even after expanding my search. Was hoping to find something decent before the summer is gone.

The search continues....

Latest posts