Battery hatch?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chevdog

Reaction score
I have been building a 14' Klamath and just bought everything for a front mount trolling motor set up. I am planning on putting the tm battery in my center seat. I was looking through the John and v mods and found a thread where a guy bought a pretty slick hatch that you cut the top of the seat out and screwed the hatch in and a battery fit perfect inside of it. I can't seem to find it anywhere now. If any one knows where I can buy one of these plastic hatches, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Josh.

Why use a hatch when you can use the whole seat.

This is from my 15 foot Klamath center seat.
photo.jpg

There is a battery in there somewhere. There is about 4 inch of room above the battery case and about 2 inch around it.
photo1.jpg

I'll take more pictures later if you like to see more.

krawler said:
Why use a hatch when you can use the whole seat.

This is from my 15 foot Klamath center seat.
photo.jpg

There is a battery in there somewhere. There is about 4 inch of room above the battery case and about 2 inch around it.
photo1.jpg

I'll take more pictures later if you like to see more.

Id like to see more. Inside specifically. Also what is uour benchtops and flooring made of? Im trying to avoid carpet since i do alot of catfishin and yours looks good

First thing is to drill out the rivets and remove the bench top. I used a small circular saw to cut it into three pieces. I cut the foam into three pieces with a homemade hot wire knife and used aluminum angle to hold the foam pieces back in their place. Re-rivet the two end pieces back on and used a stainless steel piano hinge to attach the center section.

I removed all the stuff and there is actually a lot of room down there. That's a group 29 Walmart battery and next to it are three 6 lbs trolling weights in 3" pvc end caps.

I used 1/2" exterior grade plywood sealed with epoxy for the base. I made it wide enough to screw down to the cross ribs than strapped the battery to the wood base and used aluminum angle to keep the battery from sliding around. There is foam padding down there to keep stuff from bouncing around.
photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo6.jpg

The factory made the bench top out of aluminum with a chip board core. I painted mine with Grizzly Grip.
photo4.jpg

The boat is currently rigged for electric only lakes right now. Here is a picture of the back with the second battery and switch.
photo5.jpg

I custom made the floors out of 1/2" plywood and used Grizzly Grip instead of carpet.

Not a tin, but I have a fiberglass boat that had three seats across. The middle seat covered the battery box so I took out the middle seat, cut an old plastic cutting board to fit over the hatch cover and now have a walk through that doubles as a bait cutting station.

Latest posts