First Post, First Boat!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NetworkGuy

Reaction score
Hello All. I have been lurking on this forum since purchasing my first boat back in March, and I finally decided to register and post. Picked up this boat off craigslist with trailer and trolling motor included for $500. She is just shy of 13ft, with no leaks. :mrgreen: Been slowly working on getting her back in shape. Recently replaced the seats, and added the fish finder mount after seeing a similar mount on these forums. So far, my to-do list is:

paint trailer & trailer wheels
add some type of spare tire mount
replace and paint all wood (seats, floor, fish finder mount, & bunks)
would like to add bow mount trolling motor (someone tell me if it is possible on this boat or not)
elevate trailer lights

Pics (trailer tag and reg number removed)
IMG_0563.JPG

IMG_0564.JPG

IMG_0565.JPG

IMG_0566.JPG

IMG_0567.JPG

Nice find!!! Yes yo could put a bow mount. You would just have to make a triangle shape bow cover and mount it o somehow. It would look similar to what i put in my front but you would want it flush with the top of the boat so you could mount the motor on it.

Just a thought as well, if you make a floor out of pieces of plywood carpeted for between your benches and the front, you will not be dissapointed! Stuff will sit flat, it will be quieter, and if any water gets in it will stay dry. Its a night and day difference. Here is a pic of my old floor. The pieces just laid in the boat but i wouldnt have gone without them. Simple cheap and makes it much more homey!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336512215.446943.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336512215.446943.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 624
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336512517.828430.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336512517.828430.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 624
Never mind i see its got a floor. Gesh...

Nice looking boat though and great price!

Welcome! Good looking boat!

You know I have a similar situation as you, wanting a bow mounted trolling motor, since my nose plate is only slightly curved not near as much as yours appears. Last time I looked my nose plate was just welded on. Yours looks look its on there pretty dang solid. My initial thought is to grind the welds off and configure a new nose plate. Which i saw someone somewhere on here did something similar with that diamond metal stuff. Cut out and shape a new flat style nose plate but make it a bigger nose plate to hold a trolling motor. Which with some proper framing I think you could then be able too have a bow mounted trolling motor.

Anyone who has done this feel free to expand more on this subject.

Network Guy - Welcome to the site, your boat is built like a tank, what make/type is it? I look forward to seeing what you do with it - Chris

Dman23 said:
Never mind i see its got a floor. Gesh...

Nice looking boat though and great price!

Thanks! Got super lucky and called the guy within minutes of him posting the craigslist ad. His phone was ringing constantly when I was looking the boat over before making the purchase.

Trapper02 said:
Welcome! Good looking boat!

You know I have a similar situation as you, wanting a bow mounted trolling motor, since my nose plate is only slightly curved not near as much as yours appears. Last time I looked my nose plate was just welded on. Yours looks look its on there pretty dang solid. My initial thought is to grind the welds off and configure a new nose plate. Which i saw someone somewhere on here did something similar with that diamond metal stuff. Cut out and shape a new flat style nose plate but make it a bigger nose plate to hold a trolling motor. Which with some proper framing I think you could then be able too have a bow mounted trolling motor.

Anyone who has done this feel free to expand more on this subject.

Removing that nose plate and replacing it with something flat was what I was thinking as well. I just don't have a clue HOW to go about it.

ChrisP said:
Network Guy - Welcome to the site, your boat is built like a tank, what make/type is it? I look forward to seeing what you do with it - Chris

It is a 1970 Feathercraft Skipper. It is a very well built boat!

NetworkGuy said:
Removing that nose plate and replacing it with something flat was what I was thinking as well. I just don't have a clue HOW to go about it.

It can be a bit overwhelming at first, but don't be afraid to grab the angle grinder or sawzall and get hack'n.

It looks like you could grind off the rivets on the bow piece and yank it out of there. You could then cut a piece of plywood or aluminum to fit and bolt it back on using the same rivet holes.

Another option would be to leave the current bow piece where it is (after all, it looks very stout!) and use aluminum angle pieces and SS bolts to attach a bow mount trolling motor mounting plate directly to the current bow plate .... use the aluminum angle pieces strategically to level out the mounting plate.

Nice boat....

Personaly I wouldn't take off that bow plate...its just cool looking...

You could build up one side to make it level instead of removing the plate. I know it complicates things but it would look sweet afterwards...also someone that works with Aluminum could probably weld you on a plate or make one that makes it flat. Then mount the bow mount motor to your new flat spot...

Does that make sense? It would look like a wedge somewhat but the end result would be a flat to put the motor on. You could also use wood fairly easily but aluminum would last forever.

JasonLester said:
Nice boat....

Personaly I wouldn't take off that bow plate...its just cool looking...

You could build up one side to make it level instead of removing the plate. I know it complicates things but it would look sweet afterwards...also someone that works with Aluminum could probably weld you on a plate or make one that makes it flat. Then mount the bow mount motor to your new flat spot...

Does that make sense? It would look like a wedge somewhat but the end result would be a flat to put the motor on. You could also use wood fairly easily but aluminum would last forever.

This is what I really want to try. I agree on the current bow plate being cool looking, so I don't really want to remove it if I can get away with it. 8)

Thanks for the comments and suggestions!

Latest posts