help me pick a color

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

which color

• dark hunter green

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • smoke gray

Votes: 15 75.0%

• Total voters

acabtp

Reaction score
decided on rustoleum enamel w/ hardener for ease of eventual touch ups, but am having trouble deciding on a color for my 14' semi-v... torn between dark hunter green and smoke gray. i am going to be hvlp spraying it. the bottom is steelflexed black and i am going to keep the gunwales bare aluminum.

Dark Hunter Green:
ChipSRDhpre.jpg

example (rear fenders and deck lid):
463483.jpg

Smoke Gray:
ChipSRSgpre.jpg

example:
attachment.php

the dark hunter green is kind of nice, but every jon boat sold is about that color so it would be nice to have something a little different. the smoke gray is pretty good looking too, probably end up looking like a little cruiser/battleship... but it is a little light. if it were a bit darker i would go for it right away. i don't want to deal with having paint mixed, because i want to be able to pick up touch up paint easily later down the road.

just saw the topside "battleship gray" color... thinking that's probably going to be the one
ChipMCBgatw.jpg

maybe a mod could add that choice

acabtp said:
just saw the topside "battleship gray" color... thinking that's probably going to be the one
ChipMCBgatw.jpg

maybe a mod could add that choice

When you say 'topside' battle ship gray....are you referring the Brightsider paint from Interlux? if so, that's what you want, it's very durable paint, far more durable than rust-o-leum. It's even gasoline resistant, won't blister off like rust-o-leum if exposed to gas.

My jetboat has a coat of brightsider Hatteras Off-White for the interior, and gloss black for the hull exterior and the center console. Good stuff. 30 dollars a quart, but well worth it.

Exterior, I'm partial to hunter green. Interior, having been in dark painted aluminum canoe for more hours than I ever wanted, I'd say anything LIGHT, except bright white. Sitting in a dark metal boat is how they came up with the idea of the Microwave oven.

Have fun.

I think either of those colors would be fine on the outside of the boat or used as trim. In fact, I have the hunter green on my trailer and will do my trim in the hunter green on my boat project. Goes real well with the black.

But inside the boat, especially if you are down south, darker colors make for extremely hot boats in the summer time. I did my basic training in March/April/May in NJ and I know it gets hot and humid there in the spring/summer.

If I were you, I'd go with a lighter color inside the boat.

Acabtp - I used the exact paint your considering in a two tone for my build, take a look at my build thread in the signature. I did not use the hardner though but I wish I had, my seats are those two colors also so that is what I went with. If I had to choose a single, I think the smoke gray would be it! Be interesting to see how your goes, good luck - Chris

I painted mine with Rustoleum Smoke Grey with Valspar enamel hardener. Here's what she looks like with three coats of smoke grey on the exterior after about a week of cure time. I left the top rail unpainted because I'm going to use an anti-skid additive for the interior and wrap that up over the rail.

djCQA.jpg

9Rdss.jpg

06kQj.jpg

Latest posts