Portable crane or lift for batteries, etc??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveF

Reaction score
My bad back makes removing batteries from the boat or transferring other heavy stuff a significant risk. I'm trying to come up with
a small portable 'crane', maybe even made from wood that will handle at least 50-60 pounds, preferable 100. Yes, a ceiling mount might do
but I would rather not have to move the boat around all the time. Ideas??! No, I don't want to spend several hundred dollars on an engine
hoist nor do I have a place to store it.

Thanks for your help!!

Steve

Understand. I do that most of the time but I meant when I want to remove them to do some mods or put spares in and out for long runs, etc, etc....

Steve,

I don't have a specific solution for your problem, but I do have a suggestion of where to look for a tool that might do the job. Try looking at harborfreight.com and see what they carry that might solve your problem and do it fairly inexpensively.

I have bought many tools for them over the years and most have done a good job for me. I bought an engine hoist for my boat motor for a very affordable price and have every expectation of being able to sell it and get a good bit of my money back out of it when I'm done with it.

I'm betting they'll have something you can use.

I'm thinking that the more economical way around lifting the batteries is just leave them in the boat and get an onboard charger. Whatever is available in lieu of a crane is going to weight considerably more than the batteries, is going to involve bending over to "unfold" heavy parts, and is going to require some muscle to move it around. Methinks yer gonna make more work for yerself with a crane.

If yer dead set on hooks and ropes, something I have hanging from the garage ceiling is this....

https://www.harborfreight.com/880-lb-electric-hoist-44006.html

...from harbor freight. I use it lift and hold deer for skinning and butchering.

In this case, there's nothing to tote around the garage or set up. It's perminately mounted. Granted, loading and unloading batteries would be cumbersome at best...pull trailer in, hoist battery, pull trailer out...step 5,6,7....finally put boat in garage for storage w/o batteries.

Thanks gang. I have a large two-wheeler that lays down and converts to a four-wheeler which will give me an under the boat or truck brace against lifting if I can put together a little post and boom and block and tackle. Will report back. Wish I were a welder!

S

I would get a hoist like mentioned above, and mount it to some sort of swinging arm in the ceiling. You could lift up, swing out, drop.

If that is you in your avatar photo, you seem to be able to manage that big fish pretty well... But having back issues as well, I'd take one for the team hauling that big fish in! 8)
And I'm on the on board charger side; easy to install and way worth it!

Yup, it's me...but about 10 years ago outside Annapolis with that 44"er (released). Have had several bad years but did well again this year there.
My future plan though is to get back to the smallmouth and largemouth variety!

Swingarm on the garage ceiling might be good! I know that it's a big mistake to count on little 2x4 no-load garage ceiling joists for anything much beyond a garage door
opener but for this app probably okay!

Good point but son-in-laws only available on occasion. I've decided to use a piece of angle steel on the garage ceiling (tested to 175 pounds already ;-) ) and have just ordered a simple Northern Tools 7:1 rope hoist and we'll go from there. I can also use it to tilt the mower for deck cleaning and I'm sure a host of other stuff...i.e. back the truck into the garage with something or other to be unloaded. Thanks for your help!!

Steve

Frogman Ladue said:
I'm thinking that the more economical way around lifting the batteries is just leave them in the boat and get an onboard charger. Whatever is available in lieu of a crane is going to weight considerably more than the batteries, is going to involve bending over to "unfold" heavy parts, and is going to require some muscle to move it around. Methinks yer gonna make more work for yerself with a crane.

If yer dead set on hooks and ropes, something I have hanging from the garage ceiling is this....

https://www.harborfreight.com/880-lb-electric-hoist-44006.html

...from harbor freight. I use it lift and hold deer for skinning and butchering.

In this case, there's nothing to tote around the garage or set up. It's perminately mounted. Granted, loading and unloading batteries would be cumbersome at best...pull trailer in, hoist battery, pull trailer out...step 5,6,7....finally put boat in garage for storage w/o batteries.

I have one of them hanging from my celing too... handy as a shirt pocket... finding all kinds of uses for it:

Nov2009032-1.jpg

Spring2012026.jpg

Nov2009027-1.jpg

Sure it might be overkill for batteries, but they also have rope hoists and inexpensive come-alongs for less than $20.

Nice pics! Bet I'm not the only one salivating. Can never have too many tools, gadgets or too much mechanical advantage (if you have a big enough space anyway!).

Steve