Why Foam? Angle Grinder Wire Brush?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airdawg11

Reaction score
I see everyone putting foam in the bottom of their boats. Why is this? And I am about to start stripping paint on my boat and trailer. I played around a little bit with a wire brush attachment on my angle grinder today and seemed to work fine. Does anyone have any advice on what wire brush (4 1/2inch) is best to remove paint?

airdawg11 said:
I see everyone putting foam in the bottom of their boats. Why is this? And I am about to start stripping paint on my boat and trailer. I played around a little bit with a wire brush attachment on my angle grinder today and seemed to work fine. Does anyone have any advice on what wire brush (4 1/2inch) is best to remove paint?

The foam is for flotation incase of taking on water, if you have the proper amount of foam your boat should not sink completely and may give you a chance to remove the water and get back to shore.

As far as the wire wheel goes stainless is your best (but they are costly) if you use something other then stainless give the boat a good wipe down (mineral sprits) after you are done and you should be fine.

For my boat I used zip-strip....followed by a 2600psi pressure washer....I will use Phoz for my trailer.....followed by a good ole angle grinder for the hard spots.

i like knotted wire bushes, they last a lot longer than the regular ones
3H499_AS01.JPG

Those knotted brushes are good too, just wear eye protection and long sleeves....or be prepared to by you some tweezers.....

Make sure you use a closed cell foam. If it's not close cell foam...it's going to act like a sponge. You don't want that.

There are many topics covering this on here. Use the search engine and you'll find it.

Latest posts