Marine speakers?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveInGA

Reaction score
Of those round speakers commonly seen in the marine radio section of Bass Pro, are any of them any better sounding than any of the others for the money?

I plan to have an am/fm radio setup in my boat and a weather setup. That's about it. I mainly prefer listening to talk radio and don't care much about having a "jamming stereo" persay, but when I listen to music, I'd like it to be at least decent sounding. I am planning on having two, perhaps four speakers, depending.

In my cars and trucks, I generally have pioneer speakers and pioneer receivers as my preference.

I've never put a radio in my boats. It always seemed like it would scare away the fish...besides it is my escape from all that...

Do you notice it effects your fishing? I guess it would also depend on what your fishing for....

My openbow has a place for a radio and speakers built in but I never have installed a radio so no idea if they are any count...I can see it on that type of boat as its more of a cruise, pulling tubes, swiming off it kinda boat.

Well If it is anything like car electronics, and I have to believe its similar--you are better off spending the money for a quality receiver to improve your SQL (sound quality level) and a decent pair of speakers with separate cones for the woofer and tweeter.

A factory stereo on a boat probably has an operating output of about 10-20 watts per channel. Look for a quality receiver with an operating wattage of about 50 watts per channel (RMS wattage; not peak). While people generally attribute higher wattage with louder sound, it also translates into a clearer quality of sound at all levels. On the same hand, do not just buy a receiver with the highest wattage at the lowest price you can find--they cheat on there THD (total harmonic distortion) numbers, and all you end up with is a loud, poor quality sound.

Back when I use to install car stereo's professionally, one of the most popular and best sounding inexpensive head units were eclipse units. Now, I do not know if they make a marine unit, nor do I know there quality since 2004, but it is what I would have recommended then.

As far as speakers go--any brand name speakers will get the job done, and will have a fairly inaudible difference--if you like Pioneer, stick with them. Just avoid the 'plye; boss; pyramid; etc.'.. that stuff is all crap.

Latest posts