first time camo job

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fightstar16

Reaction score
So I bought this 12 ft aluminum boat two years back and am finally starting the camp project. I looked all over the internet for different stencils to help with the project. I decided to draw out my own patterns and attempt to make the boat look decent. I have 3 different patterns I cut out, layering one on top of another starting with dark colors first ( shadow effect) progressing to lighter colors. Got a start on it this afternoon, ill post pics as the project comes along. Any tips or suggestions are appreciated though cuz this is my first attempt to camp anything.:)
[/img]

Attachments

• IMAG0237.jpg
    IMAG0237.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 743
  • IMAG0238.jpg
    IMAG0238.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 743
Ive never done a boat but hame many other things like guns etc.. if you have a few patterns you like its hard to mess up. Kust plan ahead what colors you want to stand out amd layer them accordingly till it feels natural.. you may consider using some natural stuff to break up the similar patterns like branches with leaves or clumps of pinestraw always looked good to me

Great work.

In the May TinBoat photo contest, I posted an image of a Wisconsin boat with much the same concept. I just love it.

https://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj297/Kismethimself/Boats/Cattailboat14alumacraftwith99.jpg

Nice work. Very meticulous.

Appreciate the feedback so far, what you see in the pics is exactly how it looks right now, the camo was a quick 10 minute job I squeezed in before I had to leave for work and I still have a ways to go. I'm going to go all the way around the boat with the pattern you see in the top pic before I begin to layer on top with the lighter colors. Excited to work on it after work :shock:

Worked till a little after midnight, but got the boat ready for the water today. I plan to modify more once I figure out what I wanna do, but this is the progress so far. Any ideas / feedback always welcome :)

Attachments

• IMAG0239.jpg
    IMAG0239.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 653
  • IMAG0240.jpg
    IMAG0240.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 653
  • IMAG0241.jpg
    IMAG0241.jpg
  • IMAG0242.jpg
    IMAG0242.jpg
I've always found it best to start with light colors first and then progress through the darker colors. A mottled painting without any stencil using tan, rust, brown and olive works well. Then, using a reverse stencil, use black. I usually try to use clippings of real brush to lay on top and then lightly hit it with the black. This will give it very nice depth and shadow affect.

:)

Any chance I could get you to put a duck's face peeking out from behind one of the reeds? Very discreetly placed.

Be like "Where's Waldo" hiding...and very funny to my odd sense of humor.

Extremely well-done job so far.

Nice.

Looks good man. The few times I've done I started with a grass colored base. Using grass as a 'stencil' spray with other natural colors here and there. Then go back with a streaks and then more grass stencil with some black for shadows and depth. Not too much though. Nice thing about camo is that it's very tough to ruin it. Stand back 10 yrds and 100 yards and see how it looks

Latest posts