Durable paint for interior?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbo876

Reaction score
I am getting ready to paint the inside walls of my boat. I am looking for something durable as this is a fishing and hunting boat. The floor is going to be coated with Herculiner, I am just looking for paint for the aluminum walls. They are currently painted white, so I think it will only require minimal prep work. My buddy just did his with some kind of bottom paint, but that is too pricey for me. Thanks! =D>

Jimbo876 said:
I am getting ready to paint the inside walls of my boat. I am looking for something durable as this is a fishing and hunting boat. The floor is going to be coated with Herculiner, I am just looking for paint for the aluminum walls. They are currently painted white, so I think it will only require minimal prep work. My buddy just did his with some kind of bottom paint, but that is too pricey for me. Thanks! =D>

For a very affordable and tough paint, an old boat salesman advised me to go with Rustoleum Industrial paint in the gallon cans. You can get it at Home Depot for about $28.00 to $30.00 a can. Just finished using it on my trailer rebuild. Real good paint, covers well and goes on smoothly. You'll need to prime the aluminum anywhere it's bare with a metal etching primer.

You don't want to use the Herculiner for your boat. Here's a better alternative, tough, nice looking, lotsa colors and the fine ground rubber won't pop off as easily nor tear up your knees as much. Get the aliphatic urethane version:

https://www.grizzlygrip.com/

Grizzly Grip huh? So many colors, you just screwed me! It was so easy to pick a color when it just came in black. Does Rustoleum make anything in flat colors? I am trying to stay away from glossy paint.

Jimbo876 said:
Grizzly Grip huh? So many colors, you just screwed me! It was so easy to pick a color when it just came in black. Does Rustoleum make anything in flat colors? I am trying to stay away from glossy paint.

Go look at Home Depot and Lowe's, I'm not sure.

Rustoleum makes a special "Topside" Paint for boats. I have used it and it works great. $12 a quart. Comes in 6 or 8 colors.

I have heard of several people using "Implement" paint from farm tractor supply stores...

Rustoleum enamel does come in satin finishes.
Make sure you stir the can contents as the gloss inhibitor has to be mixed well.

I second this.

I painted the inside of my 14' deep-V with Rustoleum Topside (battleship grey) last summer. I was afraid it wouldn't be durable, but I've found it to be hard, tough, and it takes a lot to scratch it.

Great bang-for-the-buck IMHO.

Nismoron said:
Rustoleum makes a special "Topside" Paint for boats. I have used it and it works great. $12 a quart. Comes in 6 or 8 colors.

I have heard of several people using "Implement" paint from farm tractor supply stores...

A super paint for above water applications is Petit Easypoxy. Goes on with a brush and leaves no brush strokes. Looks like it was sprayed on. Don't let the name fool you, it's not a two part mix epoxy. Open can, stir and paint it on. Excellent product.

What's the approx. price for the petit epoxy?

I am buying paint today for the inside of my boat. I am currently looking at the Rustoleum topside as well. This site and the people on here are class acts, and have saved me a lot of $. Kudos!!!

As far as the Rustoleum topside, how would most people apply it? Brush, Foam brush, roller, etc.

Nismoron said:

No kidding? Wow, I have yet to see, much less use, this paint from Rust-O-Leum. I have used topsider paint made by interlux, and they're proud of it, at 30 dollars a quart.

Latest posts