How to mount up rod holders?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wihil

Reaction score
Picked up some Scotty rod holders that I want to mount up for trolling on my 12'er. Hard part is deciding how to get them where I want them - I'm not interested in punching a lot of holes unless it's necessary (and due to the gunnel width, I'll need to fab up some stand offs to clear the rail) so the question is how do I mount them?

I saw a build on here that used the a board mounted between two sets of oar locks, but my boat only has one set of oar locks.

Any idea's gang? Looking to add on 4 rod holder for now, possibly another two in the future (provided I can stick another person in the boat with me to run 6 rods).

Scotty actually makes a mount for the oarlock mount for their rod holders.

Sears seems to be cheaper than Amazon right now (not factoring in shipping - it may be cheaper with Amazon prime):
https://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153...9x00001a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=SPM1429187101

I had the same issue with not being able to clear the rail and my oarlocks were out of my reach from the back seat, so I opted to just cut 2X4 blocks and it was enough for me to bolt them through the hull just under the rail. They will crack if unless you treat them with spar urethane. I'm sure teak or cedar would hold up better, but I used what I had.

Yeah, I saw the oar lock models after I bought the ones I have. I thought about going the riser block route, but I wasn't sure about it.

Honestly I'm still playing around with location as well - I did some thinking today at work (best place to think about boat upgrades!), and I'm going to do a mock up in PVC pipe first. It's cheap and easy to work with so I can figure out if where I want to mount them is in fact a good place to make holes in my hull.

If nothing else, it'll give me another excuse to play in the garage on a rainy day.

I opted for mounting the 2 on on the rails within arm reach of the middle bench. I can still reach them by stretching a bit from the back bench. Basically I planned for those to be used by whoever goes fishing with me. I plan on mounting another pair on the transom caps in the stern. The only time I really would use them is for drifting/trolling for stripers. Most fishing I do is bait casting though.

i got the oarlock mounts.i like them.you have to be careful if you tie up to a dock though.i have mine pointing out for downrigger reasons.

I had the same issue on my Hewes Craft with my Scotty rod holders. There was no easy way to attach the base that came with it so I ended up buying the Scotty square rail pontoon mount ($10.99 at Cabela's). It's just a fuzz wider than my gunnel. Drilled two holes, used a wood block and trimmed a bicycle inner tube to shim it up snug. I really liked how it turned out. Hope this helps...I can attach a picture if you want.

Years ago I had that issue on a Lund. I just grabbed one of my wife's older white plastic? cutting boards, used my chop saw to cut up pieces to match the bottom of the rod holder base, drilled a couple holes in each section to match the holes in the bases, and used the cutting board sections as spacers. Not very visible and will not rot. Worked great. It was a WC16, I think I installed 6 bases like that.

Here's some photos of what I did with mine. I chose these so I could put them where I wanted along the gunnel.Rod Holder 4.jpg

Attachments

• Rod Holder 1.jpg
    Rod Holder 1.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 1,427
  • Rod Holder 2.jpg
    Rod Holder 2.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 1,427
  • Rod Holder 3.jpg
    Rod Holder 3.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 1,427
Have You thought of installing another set of oarlocks, put them where they may come in handy for drifting etc., and make a removable board to mount 2 sets per side if You like. Just a thought.

Latest posts