Transom repair-Need Help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishinnut

Reaction score
I need to repair the transom of my 1986 Lund Predator. It has a wood transom, aluminum outer and inner skin. The wood does not go completely to bottom of the boat. The inner skin ends where the wood ends. I would like to use the Seacast for the repair but closing off the bottom may be a problem. I'm open to ideas and may still go the wood replacement route if that would be easier. Help!

When I replaced the transom on my Fisher it was sandwiched by aluminum as well. Unfortunately I had to remove that inner skin and I didn't bother to replace it either as it would have been way too much trouble. Turned out great.

Build a form the shape and thickness of the transom lay it on the floor or a flat work space line it with plastic and fill it with the seacast.
You will end up with a solid piece of seacast that you install as if it was wood.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Build a form the shape and thickness of the transom lay it on the floor or a flat work space line it with plastic and fill it with the seacast.
You will end up with a solid piece of seacast that you install as if it was wood.

Don't think this would work or be too easy. Read that the Seacast needs to bond with the aluminum skin.

It will work just fine. Search on iboats it's been done quite a few times.

You do not want the sea cast to bond with the aluminum. I have done this several times. But make my own formula. I posted it on here, but had to remove it. I replied to your PM, hope it helps. Keep in contact if I can help more.

Thanks for the help guys but why do you say that the Seacast shouldn't bond to the aluminum skins of the transom? The following is from the Seacast site:

Yes, Seacast™ can be used in aluminum boats to replace marine plywood transoms. The preparation is slightly different for aluminum, ex: aluminum pontoon, V-hull & some jon boats. Our Aluminum Adhesive Bonder has to be used to create a strong bond between Seacast™ and aluminum surfaces.

Latest posts