Paint for Trailer: Layer 2 Electric Booglo

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trapper02

Reaction score
Well its just been to windy around here to rattle can outside on the ole trailer. Now that my trailer is repaired and re-primed I am ready to paint this baby its final color.

Still planning on using tractor and implement paint from Tractor Supply so I can add in the Enamel Hardener.

Should i roll it? Brush it? Foam brush it?

What would be the best for this type of paint. I have searched on the site some Still not a 100% confidant/clear on what was the best method.

Its sounds dumb, but I'd recommend buying a foam brush, a roller, and a regular brush and try each one on a small section.

A lot of it is personal preference.

I think I might paint the hard to reach places with a bristle brush & roll the flat areas doing the brushing first.

I would think a brush would work fine. I can see using a roller on certain parts, but you will need a brush at some point, so my thought is to only dirty up one thing.

Do you have an air compressor?

If so, look into buying an inexpensive paint gun. Even the cheapish ones work really well for something like a trailer.

I would prefer to spray. And i was happy using the spray cans. It's just here in OK the wind comes you know "sweeping down the plains" so its not always calm outside when i want to paint. sometimes it is but not always when i am able to work. Don't want to have to deal with over spray. So i figured i would go the brush/ roll route. I grabbed some materials last night.

I used a foam roller for 99% of my boat and trailer. After i got a base coat down i went behind it and touched up small areas with a brush. Then i did a second coat the same way... that type of paint flattens out nicely so anyway you apply it shouldn't be much of a problem.

well decided to do some painting after work. Mixed hardener with paint as directed. waited 30 mins occasionally stirring. Began painting with brush. Covering great too brush strokes get taken right out after sitting shortly, man this looks good.

Well the more i paint the more i realize this thing is a serious bug magnet. oh well its a trailer i'll paint the boat indoors. Finish up paint on can says allow 4 hours before touching, ok cool even though i have added the hardener i'll wait the 4 hours any ways.

Well here we go paint still very tacky to the touch... more bugs attached... can see lots of dust. dang it :( What whats this red showing up... really? this paint and the primer is bleeding through you gotta be kidding me.

Well even before i noticed the primer i decided screw it i'll light sand to remove the bugs do it again. Sooooooo now i get to try this again. but this time i will re locate to enclosed shop which i should have went ahead and done, to keep the bugs out and the dust to a minimum.

What could i have done wrong? the rattle can worked much better than this, and it was dry to the touch in an hour. my thought to brush on use hardener and get a thicker coat applied.

Did the temp. screw me some how? it really wasn't to hot and didnt feel very humid out. The grass felt a little wet when i went out tonight so must be some moister in the air maybe that jacked with my paint.

After this mess i may go back to the rattle can. Hope no one decides to steal my sticky trailer tonight. lol i have to leave it outside since its to sticky to put the axle and wheels back on... maybe it will be dry...er in the morning to at least get it in the garage.

But boy does that black shiny paint look cool! 8) Just gotta learn where i messed up at.

Well no one wanted my sticky trailer last night. Lol

Still a slightly tacky this morning but since I'm gonna hit a second coat anyways put the axel back on and got it in the garage. It didn't look as bad as I thought it did last night, granted I was shining a flashlight on it at midnight lol but it definetly needs a 2nd coat I thought I could get away with one as thick as the paint seemed at the time, i can see a few more spots in the daylight that a good second coat would fix. But I figure, light sand this thing to get all the bugs out then hit the second coat it should be good.

Just need to find a spot to paint that I can let it set and harden up and not worry about it gettn stolen or having to put it back together right away. One thing I keep hearing is this paint needs time to harden even with the hardener.

I have a heat gun, would that help or hurt the process? Just curious.

I wouldn't use the heat gun .... just let the paint do its thing.

What do the direction say about sanding and adding a second coat. Can you sand while its tacky, or do you need to wait until its completely dry before sanding?

Usually you can add a second coat while the first is still tacky, but I'm not sure you can sand tacky paint.

I suppose its just a slow process.

Got any pics?

Since i didnt get the 2nd coat on right after the first it says to wait 24 hours before applying. So after that and its at least no longer tacky to the touch, i'll light sand those pesky bugs out.

And i was in such a rush to try and get rdy this morning and get the trailer in the garage before work i forgot to get pics. i am not a morning person, i am lucky i even woke up earlier than usual. lol

Also the parts i hit with a spray can originally, the axle, and trailer springs granted it was only one coat at the moment but not very impressed w/spray can durability. Painted it about 2 weeks ago. And still it cant take "dings" very well. just me taking it off the trailer and accidently rubbing or bumping it into the trailer body. Not very hard at all and that would take the paint off and show the pretty red primer coming through.

Of course my theory is i have only gotten one coat of spray on these parts, and since its rattle can i'm sure it was a thin coat at that. Probably will be fixable with another coat for added strength. May brush on instead.

Also i learned on the back on the enamel hardener that once mixed with the paint it only has a shelf life of 8 hours and says to discard after that. Need to invest in some smaller quart cans to mix with.

Trailer Pics

Its still pretty easy to scratch after 24 hrs. I know this paint needs a lot of time to really harden though.

I did this pretty effortlessly with my fingernail
imageeym.jpg

imageeer.jpg

imagezrz.jpg

I agree with Gramps, Looks sweet!!! Keep going I am watching and learning, Maybe someday when I have money(lol) I can do mine.

Thank you!

Yea it is the first coat. 1 is definitely not enough. My 2nd coat i wont paint outside for sure. It was just way to popular with the bugs. I'll probably put a 2nd coat on this Friday. That way i can take the boat up to my dad's shop and store it there over the weekend so it can have plenty of time to dry. Out of the wind, and sealed off from bugs.

You know its just amazing what a fresh coat of paint will do on how much better it looks.

Well got the trailer hauled up to where i work (family business). Nice big shop building i can paint inside and out of the elements and get a smoother cleaner 2nd coat. And lest it stay up here over the long weekend.

The paint seems to get little more durable each day it sits. I can still scratch the gloss with my nail, but actually scrapping the paint to see the primer is becoming more difficult, but i can still do it.

I've also used Sherwin Williams KEM-400 acrylic enamel and KEM Kromic metal primer to paint various things. It's an outstanding paint that's a tested and proven industrial coating.

I'm in the process of extending the tongue on my jon boat trailer and am using these paints. My only bellyache with this paint rests in its ability to dry very quickly when temps are north of 85-90 degrees F. But its a great trailer paint.

Nice, if it ever comes time for another round of paint i like the way the KEM-400 acrylic enamel sounds.

Even with the hardener it seems like this Tractor and Implements paint takes fooooooooooorever to harden, seems like.

I thought about using on the boat too but probably not now and will look for other options.

Almost sounds like you didn't add enough hardner, if I remember right that the harder also makes it dry faster too. I'll check with my buddy tonight and ask him how long it should take to get really hard. He uses it on the frame of cars that he builds.

Latest posts