First Jon Boat - Questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdaugherty1988

Reaction score
So I'm looking at purchasing my first Jon Boat for inland lake fishing up here in Michigan. I have a 1000lb towing capacity on my 4 cylinder car, so it has to be something lightweight. Also, I usually fish with a couple of buddies, so the boat will need to be able to hold three people. Based on everything I've read on the interwebs so far, it seems like a '14 riveted model would be right up my alley. I plan on adding wood decking to the boat to make it into a "poor man's bass boat", complete with swivel chairs and a electric trolling motor. As far as a gas motor, I plan on putting the largest one on there that I can afford and that the boat can handle.

My questions are:

1) Is a '14 model too small for three people on chairs?

2) Is it better to look for a used boat, or a new one? If used, do the hulls 'wear-out' over time, and if so what do I need to be aware of?

3) I don't have enough room in the garage to store it, so it'll have to be outside year-around. Is this a problem? Do they make covers that can protect the boat AND the motor for all season outdoor storage?

4) I'm pretty much set on a flat-bottom Jon Boat, because of my past experiences with rental v-hull boats. AFAIK, flat bottom boats are more stable when you stand up in them than v-hull boats. When you add decking to either type, do you actually notice a difference in stability?

I hope this wasn't too much for a 1st post, I just thought I'd ask as much as I could in one shot. I hope I can get a boat this summer, shore fishing sucks!

Thanks guys!

Mike

mdaugherty1988 said:
So I'm looking at purchasing my first Jon Boat for inland lake fishing up here in Michigan. I have a 1000lb towing capacity on my 4 cylinder car, so it has to be something lightweight. Also, I usually fish with a couple of buddies, so the boat will need to be able to hold three people. Based on everything I've read on the interwebs so far, it seems like a '14 riveted model would be right up my alley. I plan on adding wood decking to the boat to make it into a "poor man's bass boat", complete with swivel chairs and a electric trolling motor. As far as a gas motor, I plan on putting the largest one on there that I can afford and that the boat can handle.

Welcome to TinBoats! You are going to get a lot of different opinions on these questions, but here's my $0.02s worth.

My questions are:

1) Is a '14 model too small for three people on chairs?I
I think it would be marginal, depends on how big the people are. An Alumacraft 1448 weighs 250 lbs, and has a 585 lb capacity. The 1648 weighs 285 lbs. and has a 1010 lb capacity. I would go for the 1648 if I were going to fish with 2 others.

2) Is it better to look for a used boat, or a new one? If used, do the hulls 'wear-out' over time, and if so what do I need to be aware of?
It totally depends on your budget and skill level. Transoms can rot over time and rivets loosen up, hulls can get cracks. However there are plenty of examples on the site of folks turning a really rough boat into a gem.

3) I don't have enough room in the garage to store it, so it'll have to be outside year-around. Is this a problem? Do they make covers that can protect the boat AND the motor for all season outdoor storage? There are stock covers available, or you can have a custom cover made.

4) I'm pretty much set on a flat-bottom Jon Boat, because of my past experiences with rental v-hull boats. AFAIK, flat bottom boats are more stable when you stand up in them than v-hull boats. When you add decking to either type, do you actually notice a difference in stability?
Read this link carefully, it's a good one. https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9074. I wouldn't high deck anything under 48' wide at the bottom.

I hope this wasn't too much for a 1st post, I just thought I'd ask as much as I could in one shot. I hope I can get a boat this summer, shore fishing sucks!

Thanks guys!

Mike

Welcome to the site Mike!

1) I've got a 14' and putting 3 people in it would be SNUG, but doable. Like GillHunter said - it depends on the size of the people. I also tow with a car. My trailer/boat/motor/gear is likely under 700 lbs. I think a 16 with gear and a 15-25HP motor would still keep you under your tow max.

2) You can't always find a good used boat immediately, but you will find one if you're patient. There are pros and cons to both.

New:
You can purchase anytime
You don't inherit other peoples headaches or shortcuts in modifications
No leaky rivets (hopefully)
More expensive
Still need to find trailer/motor/battery/trolling motor

Old:
Plenty of them out there, but patience pays off for a good one.
You likely can get a whole fishing package for the same price as a new boat including motor/trailer/trolling motor/battery
(I even got a drift anchor, an anchor mate, life jackets, paddle, 2 anchors, 100' of new anchor line, 3 bait caster rod/reels, and a sponge bob kid rod with my boat!)

3) Same issue here. I have a cover to keep the rain/leaves out, and I bring the motor into the basement during winter. I'm actually going to run it all year this year so the motor will likely stay out as well. If you live in an icier climate in the winter time, make sure you winterize the motor/lines, and possibly at least bring the motor into the garage/basement. Walmart sells cheap covers for all sizes of boats as does Northern Tool and Equipment They run about $100. A $20 tarp will likely hold up better, but you will need to bungee/tie it.

4) If you're planning on 3 guys, I would go with a 1648 (which is 16' long and 48 inches wide), or actually wider. Read the post that Gillhunter posted on decking. If you're looking for a flat surface you can always add a floor that's flat and not really worry about it affecting the stability. A narrow flat bottom Jon can be extremely tippy. I have a v-hull myself and have added a floor, a rear deck (seat level) and will be putting in a front deck (seat level) as well. A good test is to stand on the front seat and see if you're comfortable with the stability of the boat.

Some folks have better sea legs and some are just plain crazy. I used to stand up fishing in a canoe with my buddy that was doing the same, so I won't judge.

I currently have a 14 foot semi v with a 35hp on the back. so i understand some of your concerns.

1) I dont think fishing 3 people out of 14foot is a problem as long as everyone knows where/when to cast. I currently fish 2 adults and 1 child out of my boat. And we dont have to many issues.

2) my hull is a late 60's model and it will hold 1000lbs and 35hp motor on the back. Most new 14foot boats dont have those kind of stats. I had to rebuild the transom and trailer and fix 2 leaking rivets(3m 5200 works wonders). But i spent far less and got alot more than buying new. if your willing to rebuild things yourself you only have to worry about the headaches you create. And so far i have not had a lot of headaches.

3) depends on your location. down here in Fl i just use a cheap tarp and a bungie cords. with a couple garbage cans in the center of the boat to make sure the rain runs off. Back home in NY the snow would destroy that. But i have seen some plans to make support structure out of 1inch PVC that would be inexpensive to make.

4) is really a choice i see lots of decks on jon boats that are built at the same height as the benches. I actually built a front deck that is 6 inches lower than bench height and don't have the same stability issues.

And last but not least is towing its all about the math.

weight in lbs
275 hull
135 motor
45 Fuel
60 battery
250 trailer
100 fishing gear/trolling motor
My rig loaded probably weighs around 900lbs

Thanks for the replies guys! It looks like a '14 foot would be doable, but I agree that a '16 would be best. It also looks like its best to go with a regular flat bottom instead of a mod-v hull (based on the link). I have another question though. This would be stored behind our garage, and I will have to walk it out to our driveway - I won't be able to pull my car around the garage to hook it up. Are these relatively easy for one person to move around on a trailer? The ground is relatively flat (except for one dip between our yard and our neighbors) and has thick grass, about 4" high. It would have to take one 90 degree turn and another 45 degree turn in the path to get it in the right spot to be hooked up to my car. I didn't really think of this as a possible issue until after I posted.

Thanks again!

Welcome to the forums, lots of info here & lots of cool helpful people too.

When I started looking for my 1st boat not long ago I to was looking for 1448 because I had a 4 cly pickup/automatic to pull it with. I found out that a 16" doesn't weigh that much more so that expanded my options. I ended up buying a 1652 and have had no issues pulling it or getting it in or out of the water.

I normally fish by myself but for 3 people unless they are really small I would suggest that you go with a 16'

Mine has a little 20 hp Mercury that I will take off in the winter and put it in the garage or basement. My boat also sits out all the time and I bought a cover for it at Cabela's on sale for less than $100 and a separate cover for the motor at the local boat store.

All things considered I would suggest that you get a used 16' boat. I started out with a deep, wide semi-v 14' and knew after the first season that I really wanted a 16. Secondly if you are going to store it outside 24/7 I would suggest that you go with aluminum in your renovation. It is one thing to have a wood constructed conversion when it will get dried out in the garage between trips but to have it in the weather year round is going to kill the wood quick.

Hey Mike,
I have a 15' jon with a 20 horse on the back and i pull it with an old Toyota 4cylinder pickup and it doesn't struggle with it. If your fishing with 2 other people, I would suggest either a 14 or a 16, but something wide. Mine gets crowded with 3 people, not because of the length, but because its only 36 inches wide. Covering it with a tarp here in MS is fine, if you have to deal with snow I'd want something more sturdy over it. I'm 6' 170 i can push it around myself when i mow the lawn, just pay attention to the way you position it so you don't have to manhandle it to much.
Do the math, and keep the weight low and you should be alright.

Phil

Attachments

• IMG_2686.JPG
    IMG_2686.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,570

Latest posts