Flooring Advice

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILWaterfowler

Reaction score
Hello All,

New to the forum here. 26 yr old from Illinois. I have a 1981 16' Monark. First boat. The boat is in very good shape for being 30 years old purchased for 300$ with trailer. I plan on running a 35 hp surface drive mud motor and use primarily for duck hunting.

I ideally would like to rhino line the bottom and 5200 around the rivets also add an aluminum sheet flooring with hydromat. The only concern is that I am rough on my equipment and may be hard to spot leaks. I know adding a bilge will help. Just wondering if anyone has any advice. I appreciate it :D

I bought a 14 semi v and had a similar concern on leaking rivets. So i filled the hull with water from the garden hose. but to save water and not damage the hull i tilted the hull so that i only filled about half the length of the boat. Then crawled under it and looked for leaks the marked them and used 3m 5200 to seal them have not had a drop in the boat since then.
I have no experience with rhino liner so take it for what its worth but if your going to be rough on the boat i would suggest using a paint that you can easily repair. And rustoleum seems to fit the bill for me fairly well. when i scrape off some paint from hitting a stump i just hit it with a spray can of paint.

Research some stuff called coat it.....I just got mine in the mail, but only two .....I wanted 8.

Seems like good stuff.......the 8 pounds should run you under 100 bucks.

First, welcome to the forum, and congrats on your first rig. As mentioned, first step would be to do a leak test. I would then fix any leaks (more on that later if needed) then apply any preventative measures like rhino lining or the like.

garzilla said:
Research some stuff called coat it.....I just got mine in the mail, but only two .....I wanted 8.

My 8lb unit was about $65 shipped... I would have gone steelflex if the coat-it was $100--but more to the point, it does make a nice protective layer that will seal up anything below the water line. I have yet to have it in the water though so can't speak to the durability.

Rather than spend the money on rhino liner, you might want to take a look at Grizzly Grip's Aliphatic stuff. It's designed more for marine use and will likely hold it's color longer than rhino liner and be less expensive. Also, it comes in colors much cooler than black.

Here's a link:

https://www.grizzlygrip.com/

Bigkat650 said:
garzilla said:

My 8lb unit was about $65 shipped... I would have gone steelflex if the coat-it was $100--but more to the point, it does make a nice protective layer that will seal up anything below the water line. I have yet to have it in the water though so can't speak to the durability.

That stuff looks pretty cool!!

Only thing I noticed is that I couldn't find anywhere on their website, anything about waterPROOFING......on the Boats tab, they stress "non slip"...and "bottom protection"...judging by the way it looks, I'm sure it'd seal rivets though.

Seems like you have to use their primer too.

Prices on this stuff have come way down...I remember my dad wanting a bed liner years back, and they wanted almost 1,000 clams to do it!!!

Brine said:
First, welcome to the forum, and congrats on your first rig. As mentioned, first step would be to do a leak test. I would then fix any leaks (more on that later if needed) then apply any preventative measures like rhino lining or the like.

Thanks. I did the lead test as it seems to be pretty sound. Holds rain water real well. :) I really need something will be able to flex. The griz grip looks like it might do the trick.

garzilla said:

Thanks. I see you are from La Grange. I actually grew up in Westchester. Small world

DaveInGA said:
Rather than spend the money on rhino liner, you might want to take a look at Grizzly Grip's Aliphatic stuff. It's designed more for marine use and will likely hold it's color longer than rhino liner and be less expensive. Also, it comes in colors much cooler than black.

Here's a link:

https://www.grizzlygrip.com/

Thanks. I really like that. Probably goin to go with that. Just wish home depot sold it

After reading and reviewing a bunch of other memebrs projects, I just ordered some Steelflex (non-teflon) to coat the underside of my semi-V aluminum. From everything I've ready, it adhere's really well, as long as seals up any little leaks, and is tough.

As for the inside of the boat, I'm now trying to decide if I want to go with carpet of bed liner...

Dale

snakes14009 said:
I bought a 14 semi v and had a similar concern on leaking rivets. So i filled the hull with water from the garden hose. but to save water and not damage the hull i tilted the hull so that i only filled about half the length of the boat. Then crawled under it and looked for leaks the marked them and used 3m 5200 to seal them have not had a drop in the boat since then.
I have no experience with rhino liner so take it for what its worth but if your going to be rough on the boat i would suggest using a paint that you can easily repair. And rustoleum seems to fit the bill for me fairly well. when i scrape off some paint from hitting a stump i just hit it with a spray can of paint.

I have done the garden hose in the boat many of times but never thought of tilting the boat to save water. Good ideal.

Latest posts