Lining rod lockers?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveInGA

Reaction score
I'm right in the middle of putting down decks, installing side panels, etc. My boat originally had carpet glued into the rod lockers. I have decided NOT to use any carpet, so I need something to line my rod lockers with. Here are the requirements:

1. Water Proof
2. Can be glued down
3. Provides enough padding to protect rods
4. Inexpensive, aka as cheap as possible
5. Color: Doesn't matter as long it's a color that doesn't irritate males.

Currently, I'm giving the thinnest of the blue closed cell foam sheeting from (Lowe's or Home Depot?) to line the locker with.

If anyone has a suggest of something cheaper and less expensive, please throw it out there.

Thank you,

Mcmaster Carr has hundreds of variations of rubber sheeting, in a wide range of thicknesses and colors. I'd probably look at something in the 1/8" range, give or take - should provide just as much cushion as carpet, yet stay clean and dry.

It may cost a bit more than the blue foam from HD (may not, I didn't really look at the prices of everything), but a flexible sheet that could be glued in will probably give a cleaner look than rigid foam that has to be seamed. More importantly though, I think it would last longer, as hooks might have a tendency to eat away at the foam.

bassboy1 said:
Mcmaster Carr has hundreds of variations of rubber sheeting, in a wide range of thicknesses and colors. I'd probably look at something in the 1/8" range, give or take - should provide just as much cushion as carpet, yet stay clean and dry.

It may cost a bit more than the blue foam from HD (may not, I didn't really look at the prices of everything), but a flexible sheet that could be glued in will probably give a cleaner look than rigid foam that has to be seamed. More importantly though, I think it would last longer, as hooks might have a tendency to eat away at the foam.

I better use the rigid foam then, My lines should all match that way.

HOW ABOUT JUST USING RUBBERIZED SHELF / DRAWER LINER

We use this for our electonics boxes and tool drawers on the offshore boat - cheap and works well

img.php

Bugpac said:
https://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_34560_-1?Ntt=mat&Ntk=All

Academy Sports is a 20 minute drive for me over in Athens. I'm going to check that stuff out. Thanks Bugpac.

Captain Ahab said:
HOW ABOUT JUST USING RUBBERIZED SHELF / DRAWER LINER

We use this for out electonics boxes and tool drawers on the offshore boat - cheap and works well

img.php

That's a good suggestion too. Unfortunately, there's a gap along the hull 2" wide where there's no floor. I need some thing a bit thicker and sturdier to fill that gap. Tracker used carpet, but I don't want to go there.

Went to Academy Sports today. Didn't find the listed product, but found another very similar product in a grey that was suitable for the same price. Slightly different size, but perfect for the rod lockers. Just gotta get some contact cement and she's in there.

Latest posts