Plywood for transom

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saggyman

Reaction score
I removed the old nasty plywood that was in my transom.

What can I put on the wood that can be in contact with aluminum that will protect it from rotting for a long time?

Many folks use the Spar urethane 3-4 coats. I chose to use epoxy on mine. If you use the epoxy, choose one with UV inhibitors, or top coat it with something that will protect the epoxy from the sunlight. (I top coated mine with spat urethane.). Drill all holes slightly oversize and coat the inside of the holes too. Here's a picture of mine.

Attachments

• IMG_2684.JPG
    IMG_2684.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 378
Don't use Pressure Treated wood on an aluminum boat. Exterior grade plywood works well.

Apply several coats of 635 medium epoxy from U.S. Composites. Drill all fastener holes over-sized and pot the holes with a mixture of the epoxy, cabosil and phenolic micro-ballons (all available from U.S. Composites). Back-drill through the cured potting compound, install fasteners with 3M-5200 and you will have a transom core that will likely outlast the rest of the boat.

Latest posts