Getting ready to buy a new tow vehicle :-)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish Chris

Reaction score
Now for starters, I don't want anyone to think, that I don't think "ALL" of the new trucks are SWEEET ! It's kind of funny sometimes to listen to the Chevy guys bash the Fords, and Ford owners to bash Dodges, etc. But IMPO, if any one of the new trucks were as bad as some guys would have you believe, that company would be flat out of business right now ! The competition nowadays is just too steep.

Anyway, I think I have decided on a Toyota Tundra, regular cab V6. Heck, the regular cab will fit a 5 gallon bucket behind the seat fully slid back and reclined ! And the Toyota 4.0L V6 puts out just about the same HP's as the small Dodge (4.7L) V8 !

Only thing is, I'll have to wait 1 to 2 months, for the $5000 rebate to kick in (just as soon as all the 07's are gone, and the 09's start to come in).

So, check it out, I'm not going for the "pretty and flashy" look, but rather, the "tough, outdoors'y look."
Again, it will be a regular cab, but I had to use the extra cab to get the right color to come up. Also, it won't have "this style" of wheel, but they will be flat black (I'm actually shooting for a beefy looking five spoker... I might have them powder coated if its not too outrageously expensive to do), but they will be flat black, as well as the grill, door handles, and side view mirrors. The Mossy Oak Shadow Grass chip panels should be cheap and easy.... a $79 kit from Cabelas.

Have to have dark tinted glass.

Oh, and all black running boards to hide all the undercarriage stuff.

And we can't forget the color matched fiberglass bedcover. Just an absolute must have.

I don't know how well this photo will show it, but this paint is called Pyrite Mica. It's somewhere in between desert sand, and light charcoal, with very fine mettalic, and its SOOO cool in the sunlight, plus a perfect match for the camo :)
10c294380.jpg

Don't forget my boat, which will be permanently attached too it :)
fbbefd40.jpg

I think it will be a beautiful match.... but again, in a "tough, outdoors'y kind of way" :) Pretty stoked ! Can't wait ! :)

Peace,
Fish

PS, Hoping to get the whole deal, with all the options I described, + state sales tax, and license, for..... uhhhhh.... $25K ? I dunno' about you guys, but that's a pretty big chunk of change, for a guy that fishes too much, and doesn't work enough ! :)

I just got a new ride in February, and the Tacoma was definitely an option, but I went with a GMC Canyon. I was able to get better rebates, and it is supposed to get better fuel mileage. The $5000 rebate sounds like a great deal though.

Attachments

• showroom2.jpg
    showroom2.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 1,280
that's a good looking new tow truck you got there too ! Honestly. I think a GM truck would have been my close second choice. They are highly rated (I think right below Toyotas ;-) and yes, VERY good rebates ! $7500 off, locally ! And since they are cheaper than a Toyota to begin with, heck yes, a really good value !

Ya' know, I'm certainly not rich, I just happen to have come up with a nice little chunk of change, and so I figured, what the heck, I'll just get what I really want...... then drive the dang wheels off of that thing for the next 15 years, until it won't roll anymore, then take it to the wrecking yard for my $50 :) I'm just not one of these guys that never really wears out a vehicle, before he gets a new one.... like every 2 or 3 years. I don't have the time, or the money for that.

Hey anyway, you need to get some photos of your truck at the lake, with your boat behind it, and post them here :)

Peace,
Fish

2008 Dodge Dakota. 4.7 liter V8 - 302hp. I think its 302 if not more. You can probably haul 8000+ behind that thing. I been using Dodge's for a while since my 1st boat. Don't listen to most critics who say that their trannies suck. If they sucked so bad I wouldn't stick with them for pullin my 4000+lb boat motor and trailer plus 3 ppl inside the truck since my 1st lund in 2003 3 days a week from april to november. I don't knock other manufacturers as they make sweet trucks as well but I stick to what worked for me.

So without me having to look it up (like I have anything better to do) what is the rated towing cap and fuel mileage for the Tacoma and Canyon?

Caynon/Colorado towing is 5000 lbs, fuel mileage is 18/21 with the 3.7L I5. However, I have yet to see 18 mpg average/tank, and am disappointed about that. The new fuel mileage rating system was supposed to be more realistic.

The Trailblazer still has a few years of life left in her (only 96K on it now) but if something came along with decent towing cap (5K would do) nad better gas MPG I might trade it in sooner. Deep down I hope I don't find something as it is nice not having a truck payment (other than the Wife's POS Silverado) and I want to save to build a garage. Anyone in NE Illinois wanna build me a garage? :lol:

Latest posts