Front deck panel planning - need suggestions, comments

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveInGA

Reaction score
This is a pic of the original front deck control panel on my boat. It was in a handy location for electric/electronic controls up front:
TrollingMotorPanel.jpg

The panel is made of plastic. I'm going to duplicate it in aluminum, with better quality switches, etc than the originals.

Here is my current list of things I want to put on the panel.

1. 12V outlet (cigarette lighter style, sealed)
2. Trolling motor outlet (a good one)
3. Electric trim control switch (a good one)
4. LED light (style? color?)
5. Inline fuse for trolling motor (type?)
6. Boat light switch

The items I'm debating are:

1. the LED light, particularly the color and style. I'm probably going to use a Wal-mart LED in a color that hopefully won't attract flying biting creatures/insects. I'll seal the casing of the LED with 5200. I was thinking of using red, but have read that color can affect the vision in negative ways temporarily. Does anyone know of a good "night" color that doesn't attract critters, gives good visibility and is easy on the eyes?

2. The inline fuse, whether I should use a style similar to the one on there, go with a blade fuse or simply put the inline fuses "inline" in the wiring bundle behind the panel. I'm going to use one for the cigarette lighter and one for the trolling motor. These will be separate from the fuses originally mounted under the console.

Thoughts and commentary welcome.