my homemade guide posts (finished pictures)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegr8cody

Reaction score
Theyre not finishe, I have to wait till Thursday before I can get the pvc and my new lights. These were really simple to make.strangth was not really an issue as I use my side boards for guides I just made these for when im backing IP and to quit dunking my lights. I just used some angle iron and cut two pieces about 40" and cut a slit in one side so I can bend it. I plan on using some self tapping screws and bolts to secure it to the light bracket. Hope this helps people make there own
20120528_195201.jpg

20120528_195216.jpg

I was hopin to keep my bracket under the light bracket to hide how ugly it is but that interfered with the angle on my lights so that didnt wprk. Decided to mount them up top, they look decent and are very sturdy and snug. Total cost was about $10, pipe was $6 caps were 1.25 a piece then I needed galvanized hardware. Beats paying $70 from the store

20120531_161423.jpg

20120531_161440-1.jpg

Not bad, but I'd suggest one change. Weld or bolt a piece of angle or strap steel to form a triangle at the bottom. This will help strengthen the bend you made at the bottom. The way you currently have it, I think it will bend/sag over time or from being bumped by the boat when loading it on the trailer and cause you problems.

Im trying to avoid welding since its galvanized. I have been trying tk figure a way to use another piece of the angle iron to strengthen it. But I believe im gonna have to have it welded as I am not coming up with anything

While welded would be my preferred choice, you could do the same thing by using bolts. Just drill a hole at each end of the added piece, that will be a tight fit for your bolt (don't want too much play).

Im not following what youre saying. What do you mean drilling a hole on the added piece and using a bolt?

I weld galvanized....don't weld in a closed garage, and grind off the coating before welding.

Then a nice big glass of milk when you're finished.

Nut and bolt would be ideal though.

Will look good when finished. My last tin had a similar setup when i got it but it was much beefier anfle and was too tall for my liking

29458_1445697150665_2873534_n.jpg

I thought about going with thicker angle iron but I got mine for free and I just need them to hold up lights.I dont plan on making mine too tall maybe 3-4" more tp be on the safe side. Cant wait to get some pvc so it looks alot better

Drift, might be the picture, but those look WIDE, as in they'd hit cars and roadsigns wide...I think they have laws saying how high tail lights can, and can't be.....maybe not though...

garzilla said:
Drift, might be the picture, but those look WIDE, as in they'd hit cars and roadsigns wide...I think they have laws saying how high tail lights can, and can't be.....maybe not though...
haha they were wide but not that wide.. i hated them... but didnt keep the boat long enough to chop em off.. fixed boat up and sold it within a month or so

I didnt the angle iron was about 2" across so I got some 2" pvc and literally had to beat it on. I though it would be kimda loose amd the slit in the pvc for the angle support would keep it from spinnimg but theres no way its comin off even if I wanted to take it off

Finished product looks good although you might find yourself wishing you'd set the final spacing a little wider so the boat doesn't rub/hit them when loading it on the trailer. One thing I'd suggest, keep an eye on the weld that holds the tail light bracket to the frame. With all the extra weight and length of the guides, vibrations might cause the weld or metal to fail in that area. If it starts to develop a crack, you'll need to stop it quick, or it can get ugly real fast.

I had them wider but moved them in because I didnt like them that wide. As close as they are to my side bunks I would have to have a really strong angle to the left or right to hit them. It looks narrow but eith how I load my boat I dont think it will be a problem. The welds on the light bracket are pretty darn sturdy I step on them all the time to reach stuff in the boat. Ill know how they do tuesday

Latest posts