New here with some questions.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnzsmith

Reaction score
Hi there! First of all, I have been lurking here for a few weeks and I think this forum is great. Secondly, I have some questions regarding my boat, so this post may be kind of long.

Ok. I have a 14 foot Larson Semi V with a 48 inch floor. I got this boat 2 years ago from a buddy that had it sitting on his property unused for at least the last 10 years. I have recently repainted and rewired the trailer. Now it's time to do the boat. After looking around here at some of the great conversions people have done, I have decided that I want to put a floor in this boat, and then attach some pedestal seats. I also want to paint the outside of the boat.

1. This boat has a couple of rivet leaks, and a few small seam leaks. I see that the 3M 5200 is the weapon of choice for sealing leaks, but do I use it before or after I prime and paint?

2. I want to put in a floor to make the bottom of the boat flat and nice looking. I see that non treated exterior grade plywood is the way to go, but what thickness? I am a big guy (6'5', 300#) and will mainly be fishing with my teenage son (6'3",275#) so I want something that neither of us will put a foot through. Is half inch thick enough? This is for a floor, not raised decking.

3. What is the best way to attach the floor support to the boat? I have seen some conversions where it looks like they screw the supports to the bottom of the boat. Is this using short screws with nuts on the other side? I always picture the bottoms of these boats with 2 inches of sharp screw point sticking out the bottom, but I know that isn't right.

4. Right now, all of the wood that was in this boat is rotted away to nothing. This means that there are no seats right now. Can I mount pedestal seats directly to the floor I want to install? Considering my size and weight is this a bad idea? If I can mount them directly to the floor, how do I go about doing that?

5. If I shouldn't be adding seats directly to the floor, what would be some other options for seating that won't put my knees up around my ears?

Here are some pictures of the boat the way she looks right now.

OkiDfl.jpg

FvxTsl.jpg

q8pK1l.jpg

h8uIdl.jpg

Welcome!! You have a nice looking boat there, and a great platform for a project.

1. 5200 is good stuff, and would work, but its always better to actually fix the leak instead of just patching it. Rivets really should be removed and replaced (which is a lot easier than you might think). Leaky seems can be more tricky, depending on the type of seam. Some riveted seams can be fixed by replacing a few rivets. Other types of seams need to be welded.

2. Wood is a fine option for the floor and will work just fine. But have you considered using aluminum? Its a bit more expensive than wood and can be more difficult to work with (depending on tools and skill), but its lighter and lot more durable. If you go with wood, I think 1/2" is too thin. Go larger, maybe even 3/4". Good solid bracing and support structure is a must for a sturdy floor.

3. Don't drill holes through your hull! Attach supports and braces to the ribs in the boat using short sheet metal screws (or rivets if you are using some sort of bracket). Then screw your plywood floor to the supports.

4. If you have a well supported plywood floor, you can absolutely attach a pedestal base directly to it.

Also, due to the shape of your hull, you might consider a floor for the back half of the boat and a slightly raised floor for the front .... maybe a three or four inch rise to get over the upward sloping floor towards the front of the boat. That would maximize your flat walking space.

When I said leak, I really should have clarified that they are like weepers. I had the boat filled with water for a few hours and at most got a couple tablespoons of water all together from about a dozen places. Would re-seating the rivets do the trick? Along with the sealant of course.
Wood vs aluminum, wood will win out simply because it's easier for me to work with, and I have the majority of the tools I will need.
Screwing into the ribs makes a lot more sense!

I figure it will take a little bit but I really want to get it done in time to use it by the first of July or so.

Hello John, welcome to the forum. Answers to your question in red below.

Johnzsmith said:
1. This boat has a couple of rivet leaks, and a few small seam leaks. I see that the 3M 5200 is the weapon of choice for sealing leaks, but do I use it before or after I prime and paint?
The best way to seal leaks is to repair them permanetly. The best way to repair rivet leaks is to replace that particular rivet. The best way to repair seem leaks is to have them welded.

2. I want to put in a floor to make the bottom of the boat flat and nice looking. I see that non treated exterior grade plywood is the way to go, but what thickness? I am a big guy (6'5', 300#) and will mainly be fishing with my teenage son (6'3",275#) so I want something that neither of us will put a foot through. Is half inch thick enough? This is for a floor, not raised decking.
I'm you guy's size and I think you're going to find 3/4" or the closest thing to it is your best option for men your size, especially when you consider adding gear. Cost difference is minor. Be sure and water proof with Spar Urethane or Epoxy. A better and more permanet option is to use aluminum. In your case, you would want 1/8th inch thick aluminum and at least 12" on center support.

3. What is the best way to attach the floor support to the boat?
Aluminum rivets are the best way and are easy to remove by drilling out with the same size drill bit as the hole. I suggest 3/16" hole & rivet. The depth you'll have to determine by adding the thickness of all the materials you wish to rivet together. I have seen some conversions where it looks like they screw the supports to the bottom of the boat.
If you do this, use stainless steel screws, but this is not as good as aluminum rivets Is this using short screws with nuts on the other side? They are screws in most cases, as there is not enough room to reach under and add a nut. I always picture the bottoms of these boats with 2 inches of sharp screw point sticking out the bottom, but I know that isn't right. Most of the screws are just long enough to make it through the materials they are fastening.

4. Right now, all of the wood that was in this boat is rotted away to nothing. This means that there are no seats right now. Can I mount pedestal seats directly to the floor I want to install? Yes, again, be reminded you are a big fella and you want things mounted in such a way they don't pull out on you. Considering my size and weight is this a bad idea?No it is not, but some extra reinforcement under the "deck" would be a very good idea, such as big washers on the mounting nuts for the seat pedestal base or perhaps a big piece of aluminum to spread the load and prevent the bolts pulling through. If I can mount them directly to the floor, how do I go about doing that? The best way is with flush mount machine screws that fit the holes of the seat base and can add a nut and washer underneath.

5. If I shouldn't be adding seats directly to the floor, what would be some other options for seating that won't put my knees up around my ears?Build a small box to mount to the floor to help raise the seat enough to make you comfortable or you may have to think on it for a bit. For example, in my restoration (see my signature) my driver's seat normal height is going to leave my knees to high to suit me. To help that, I'm replacing the 3/4" rotted out plywood floor with 1/8" thick aluminum. This lowers the floor 5/8" of an inch relative to the seat, so I can a bit of leg room. Additionally, I am going to add another inch of aluminum box channel around where the seat mounts to give me another inch of raise. Total lift isn't much, just 1 5/8", but it should be enough to give my knees a break.

Here are some pictures of the boat the way she looks right now.

OkiDfl.jpg

Looking at the low ribs you have, I suggest not drilling directly downward into the ribs. Instead, drill side ways through the rib and mount an L-bracket of different heights, taller toward the middle, you can use to mount a support bracket that is "level" from side to side of the boat. Consider your weight when deciding quantity and spacing for the support brackets. A couple extras is more cost, but more strength as well.

FvxTsl.jpg

It might just be dirt and the way the picture looks, but it appears you have some pitting. I suggest taking a look at Gluv-it or a similar product for the inside and Steelflex for the outside after repairing rivets and seams.

q8pK1l.jpg

Some good exterior grade plywood coated with spar urethane or epoxy and sealed well with 5200 would be a good replacement if the transom wood is gone.

h8uIdl.jpg

Nice looking boat. Nice lines. Trailer looks good.

Johnzsmith said:
When I said leak, I really should have clarified that they are like weepers. I had the boat filled with water for a few hours and at most got a couple tablespoons of water all together from about a dozen places.
Replacing the rivets and sealing this would be the best solution.

Would re-seating the rivets do the trick? Along with the sealant of course.
Maybe, but generally re-seated rivets have failed and are better off replaced. Sealant can be scratched by a rock and you're back in the same place. Replacing the rivets is the best solution. For a couple solid rivets, you can buy a straight rivet punch that fits the new rivets you get, use a hunk of steel as the bucking bar and with a buddy helping and a larger ball peen hammer to set the new rivets. Use a flap disk to grind off the tip of the old rivet until you can use a punch to punch it out.

Wood vs aluminum, wood will win out simply because it's easier for me to work with, and I have the majority of the tools I will need.
I have hobby business wood worked in the past. I'm currently using aluminum for decking replacement. I am finding a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade (like a good Bosch/swiss made) and a file to smooth the cut when done is just as easy as any woodworking and there's no extra time/cost to waterproof the aluminum. You just scuff the aluminum a bit, then use aluminum etching primer to prime with, then paint, cover with marine vinyl, carpet or whatever you prefer.

Screwing into the ribs makes a lot more sense!
You have to drill a pilot hole for a screw just like you have to drill a hole for a rivet. In practice, they are about the same. Screws sound easier, but if you don't use stainless steel, they rust and you've got a failed connection. With an aluminum rivet, no rust and it's easily removed to replace. Rusted screws are tough to remove from aluminum. Especially if the head breaks off. I know, because I went through that with my boat.

I can't answer your questions any differently...but I do want to welcome you to TinBoats. We're happy to have you on board.

Good answers guys.

I would like to say thanks to everyone for the advice. It seems that I will be picking up a rivet gun and some rivets this week. After pricing out the 1/8 th inch aluminum sheet, it looks like I will be using plywood. Aluminum is too pricey for my current budget, especially if I would like to stay married.

How high up are those original seat mounts?
If it was me, and they were high enough I'd construct some heavy duty cross boards and mount the seats on them. Floor looks pretty flat the way it is. (worked for years that way)
I'd fix the leaks and maybe put some of that 3m foam covering stuff to quiet it down.

Or not. Thats why they call them projects. you get ideas and then make it your own.

Maybe we'll go fishing sometime, I'm down the road by Rapatee.

parkerdog said:
How high up are those original seat mounts?
If it was me, and they were high enough I'd construct some heavy duty cross boards and mount the seats on them. Floor looks pretty flat the way it is. (worked for years that way)
I'd fix the leaks and maybe put some of that 3m foam covering stuff to quiet it down.

Or not. Thats why they call them projects. you get ideas and then make it your own.

Maybe we'll go fishing sometime, I'm down the road by Rapatee.

I would have to measure, but they seem low for actual sitting purposes for me.

Nice to see someone local on here. I mostly fish Banner Marsh and Duck Island. Do you have any other suggestions?

This past weekend I bought the 2x4's to frame my flooring with, but now I have a question. What is the best way to frame it out? Could someone give me a few links here that show the best way to frame? I have searched the topic, but I would rather see some specific examples with some good pictures. I will be posting pics of mine once I get started.