Coating or paint?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobalt107

Reaction score
Is there a coating or paint that you can apply to your aluminum boat rail & interior to reduce the felt heat of the aluminum? I purchased a used G3...a lighter boat than the one I've had for 15 years (Scout)...because of some health issues. I would like to say hi to all...my first post!

Grizzly grip will reduce heat some, I think the ultimate heat reduction is gonna be with styx river neo matt, or hydro turf.

Welcome BTW.

cobalt107 said:
Is there a coating or paint that you can apply to your aluminum boat rail & interior to reduce the felt heat of the aluminum? I purchased a used G3...a lighter boat than the one I've had for 15 years (Scout)...because of some health issues. I would like to say hi to all...my first post!

Yep!... it's called white.

White reflects heat and all other colors will absorb it with some more than others.

One nasty thing about white, depending on where you fish. It's blindingly bright. If you use white, you would need to break up the white with "sprinkles" of some other colors. Otherwise, you end up with sore eyes from the glare.

Better color solutions would be "off whites," such as tan, almond, sand, very very light grey, etc. The darker they are, the warmer, but still much "cooler" than the bare metal.

Often the choice boils down to a balance between heat, glare, clean-ability, durability, wash-ability and cost. Another factor is where on the boat you're putting the product. A horizontal surface that gets lot of traffic, wear and tear needs a tougher product. A vertical surface that seldom or never gets touched can get by with a much less durable product. The type of fishing and the location can affect your choice. For example, you wouldn't want to pick white or almond if you are fishing the electric boat bass tournament circuit here in Georgia. Many of the smaller lakes have Georgia red clay muddy banks/ramps and your freshly painted deck would quickly be stained brownish red clay color. Lake Lanier, on the other hand, has cleaner docks, but still has the red clay banks, so a stop for lunch could quickly "muddy up" the lightest colors.

Alternative good choices are Marine Vinyl, neo mat, hydro turf, grizzly grip, rugged paints. Not as good, but a traditional choice has been lighter colored carpets. But carpet has many negatives to it, including mold and mildew.

For my own boat and after many posts inquiring of those that used it previously, I am choosing to go with Grizzly Grip this time. I requested samples of each type of color I am interested in (colors I think will be "cool" temperature wise) and will pick from those samples. I am going to go with a lighter color because I plan to fish the larger lakes here in Georgia. I will probably pick Grizzly Grip's Safari Tan color because it offers a good balance between coolness and it's close in color to the Georgia red clay dirt.

Even with the darker than white colors, glare off a deck can still be a problem in bright sun. I would think about adding some kind of non-skid to break the glare, and it will make footing a little more stable. There is no glare off of carpet, but all of the other attributes make it undesirable IMO. Mold, mildew, stains, and fish smell.

I have a 1756 G3 Center console and I used the "Tuff Coat" non skid from Overtons. The same stuff is sold at Gander Mtn and Bass Pro. It is a rubberized non skid. It works great even here in the FL sun and comes in several different colors. I used the OD Green but it comes in tan, sand, white, etc.

I'm not a huge fan of carpet, but it sure is comfy to have in the boat. It doesn't get hot, it doesn't reflect the light, its soft on bare feet, and its quiet.

You can buy a rubber backed area rug and cut it to fit your decks and floor. Remove it when you store the boat .... or just leave it in and replace every three years or so.

Latest posts