10ft Jon

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRyno10

Reaction score
I was wondering what size motor would push a 10ft jon boat at a decent rate, just to get from point A to point B for night fishing in the bayous near my house? I have a 67lb thrust great white motorguide transom mount trolling motor to use when im in the general location that i will fish.

Would an old (late 80s) 12lb weight.. Cruise n Carry 6600 (1.5hp) do the job? or would i want something a bit bigger?

That 1.5HP motor would be just fine.

You won't be flying down the lake, but then again your don't want to in a little boat.

I have a small 2HP Evinrude from 1984 that I just re-built. I'm surprised how much pep that little sucker has. It scoots my 12' canoe along great.

My buddy has a 12' jon with a 5.5 hp on it. I wouldn't want a smaller motor than what he has on it. I guess it all depends on how fast you want to move, but with 2 people and a bit of current, we don't move very fast with the 5.5.

Thanks for the input, it will be only me (160lbs) in the boat for probably 80% of the time. So a 5hp should be sufficient? Only concern that i have with a 5hp is that most 10ft have a 3hp max hp recommendation on the sticker. The reason i will be getting a 10ft is i need it to fit easily in the bed of my truck, mainly because I have no room to park another trailer at my house. Will a 12ft'er fit into a truck bed? or will too much of it stick out the back?

I don't know about a jonboat, but I used to haul a 12 ft kayak in the back of my truck no problem. The only thing I would be concerned with is the weight if you will be loading and unloading by yourself.

As long as it's secured properly... let it hang out the back of the truck and go fishing. You can also put a rack on the truck bed as well.

Why don't you just get one of those plastic mini pontoon boats? It would be much more stable than a 10' jon, and it would move along nicely with just the trolling motor.

Maybe I'm just yella, but a 10' jon in the bayous? Some of them crocs or gators would be bigger than the boat! :shock:
('Course, I'm a city boy, so what do I know?)

Roger

Latest posts