Lowe 1236 + 8hp - Feedback plz!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgk

Reaction score
I've got a Yammy 8hp 2 stroke short shaft and I'm figuring on getting a Lowe 1236. What kind of speed/performance can I expect? I've never owned a true jon before. Thanks!

Kris

:WELCOME: to Tinboats!

That should be perfect for your boat. Not sure what Lowe rates their 12' but usually expect around 5-10hp.

Also.. WE NEED PICS!

It's going to depend a lot on how much weight you put in the boat. People, fuel, battery, trolling motor, etc all add in to the final number.

I have a 1436 with a 8hp 2 stroke. With just me and a few gallons of gas, I can run about 21-23 mph. Add a battery and a couple anchors, 19-20mph, Add another person, ice chest, and fishing gear, 15-16 mph.

Of course, I've always wondered if the previous owner did something to the motor because is seems REAL powerful for an 8hp.

I have an 8 HP 2 stroke evinrude, great motor. On my old 12' v-hull, I'd guess it clipped along at 12-14 or so MPH. Never opened it up on my 1440 (5 MPH limit lakes). On my 1448, with two people and gear, max GPS speed is 8.0 - 8.4 MPH. Not a speed demon, but very reliable and sips gas.

Thanks guys keep it coming! My main concern is fit/trim/planing. I know I shouldn't have a problem but I hate it when you drop a motor on something and it sits too low or too high and rides goofy as a result. In an 80lb 12' zodiac with just a tank of gas I was getting about 23-4 mph. I don't usually carry extra people. Just gas and fishing gear.