Stabilizer for Merc 60 4-stroke

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdover73

Reaction score
First of all I have to admit I haven't done a search for this topic yet. Sorry for being lazy but it's still early in the morning and I am trying to get my work day started!

I have a 2008 Lowe Stinger 170 with a 60 hp Mercury 4-stroke. The boat runs very good, but I find it to be a little sluggish getting out of the hole. This may just be the nature of the 4 stroke or a combination of the 4 stroke powerband and a relatively small hp. I had a stabilizer on my old Arrowglass and it really made a difference. The motor was a 100 Johnson and you could tell the difference when I took it off. I had no power trim and the boat weighed a ton, but it would come up on plane within two boat lengths with the stabilizer. It also handled better with it on.

What are your opinions on a stabilizer with my new setup? I haven't talked to Mercury yet, but plan to so I can see what they have to say. The biggest thing is I don't want to have to drill holes in my new motor to install one unless I will see results. I also don't know what that would do to my warranty.

There are a few good stabilizers out there, but the one I looked at is a Jr model that is narrower than the others. If I put one on I think it would be that one since it doesn't stick out like a whale tail. Or I may just be happy with what I have and not add one.

I'm just thinking out loud here and would appreciate your thoughts as well.

Thanks,

cdover73

Thought about that too! I upgraded to a S/S but I don't know what size it is since Cabelas selected it themselves. Stock aluminum is 12x22. I will ask about this when I talk to Merc.

Also, I just did the search and it seems I am the only one to post about stabilizers so far. :D

cdover73 said:
Thought about that too! I upgraded to a S/S but I don't know what size it is since Cabelas selected it themselves. Stock aluminum is 12x22. I will ask about this when I talk to Merc.

Also, I just did the search and it seems I am the only one to post about stabilizers so far. :D

nope there is a lengthy thread about this: https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2166&highlight=whale

Ahh...Got to use the right keyword next time!! :?

Thanks. I will update after I talk to Mercury, just in case anyone's interested.

cdover73

Talked to Mercury. The guy was very understanding of my situation. He thought the prop I have sounded like it was sized right. He didn't recommend a stabilizer due to warranty issues and the fact I am just starting a 5 year warranty. The repair shop will try to blame any failures on the stab. However, he did say the stab would help a great bit. If warranty wasn't an issue he wouldn't hesitate on putting it on. He suggested talking to the dealer to see what they would say. I guess that will be my next step. I don't think they will put anything in writing and I don't want to take a chance on my warranty so this may be finished before it's even started. I plan on taking the boat out this weekend. Maybe I can play with it some more to see what works best as far as weight distribution, trim, speed, etc. I also have my GPS ready this time so I can get a more accurate speed. I just hope I can resolve keeping the boat on plane at slower speeds. Anything under 4000 rpm and it falls off. That is the main reason I considered a stab.

Here's a thought. Go with the stabilizer but don't tell anyone you're doing it, and if you have any service/warranty issues, take the stabilizer off and never mention ever having one to the dealer, etc. That's what I'd do.

Also, is there a chance you could be weighing that boat down a bit much? I have the new 4 stroke 60/40 jet (60hp at the head and only 40hp at the jet) on a 16' rigged out Alumacraft, and I feel confident that my motor could push a 17' comparably equiped Alumacraft without issue. Mine planes off at about 12 mph (3 boat lengths or so).

It sounds like some of you ability to plane might have to do with angle of thrust - remember to trim the motor in (towards the stern) to take off and the trim out once you begin to plane, you shoudl be able to plane this boat pretty quickly and without having to go at full throttle

ibanez - The only problem with that is you have to drill holes to mount most hydrofoils. They will see this. But it did cross my mind!! :twisted:

esquired - The boat trims out fine. I do just what you mentioned. I'm sure weight is mostly the issue, but I don't feel I have any more in it than anybody else would. After talking props I'm starting to think they may not have sized it right.

To put it in perspective this is what happens:
From dead still, I trim the boat all the way in and increase throttle. The nose comes up significantly until I pick up to around 8-10 mph and about 2500 throttle. As I reach 3500 the nose starts lowering and you can feel the boat lift in the water. I start trimming out and the nose settles in, slightly raised. As the rpm's climb the boat gets more responsive and I ease back off the throttle. I trim for best attitude as the boat reaches its level off point, around 5200rpm. The motor levels out and is at cruising speed with 3/4 throttle. I can increase up to 5600 rpm and it tops out around 38-40 mph per speedo.
Now, as I start slowing down this happens:
The rpm's drop to around 4200 at half throttle. The boat slows down and starts sitting in the water, but still on plane. If I do nothing it will hold plane at this speed but feels like it wants to drop off anytime. Decrease the throttle to anything below 4000 and you just lost plane. The front noses up and the engine starts bogging hard. It only takes a bump on the throttle to get it back on plane at this point. This is where I have the most concern. Why is it dropping off plane so easily? I have tried trimming it up and down but don't see a difference other than water spray.

I may be off a little on some of the numbers but I will verify this weekend. The way it is now I can't cruise comfortably on plane with anything less than 4000-4200 rpm. To get on a stable plane takes around 4800-5200. I feel this causes the motor to work too hard when it should be cruising around 4200 with no problem.

cdover73

cd,
saw your pics in the other post. Nice looking ride man! It looks wide. Keep us informed on how your performance improvement work is going. Are you getting recommended maximum rpm at WOT?

I've seen stabilizers that require NO drilling, Maybe Cabelas or BPS has them

Ouch!! $150! I guess that's cheaper than a prop. Worst case I need both. I have a good list of things to check this weekend. Maybe I can figure soemthing out.

Latest posts