day trips

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcbouy

Reaction score
my wife thinks its odd to drive 3 hours for 1 day of fishing when were surrounded by lakes.i'm going after some trophy sized trout. the only problem is they're on the other side of the coastal mountain range :? . whats the farthest/longest you've gone for a day trip ? my farthest so far has been 4 hrs. one way.

Now that i have a boat im planning some long ones. Lobgest ive dome was probably about 3you hours into the mountains to find some trout stream my dad found on a map.. hiked a few hours after the drive in pouring rain through a national forest with waders over flowing with rain water. Lots of stream crossings. never found the part of the stream he wanted and caught no fish but it was a great day.. even with the rain it was beautiful out there. Feet were soggy for days

You do not even want to know - I used to do a few "suicide" trips to the ocean for stripers - sometimes 5 hours each way to fish three hours

Insanity is trying to follow the migration

Wow, those are some crazy day trips! Most I've done is maybe 1.5 hours each way.

Now, long weekends is a different story. I'll drive 6-8 hours each way for two full days if fishing if I like the lake.

About 2-1/2 to the coast for me, and I do it as frequently as possible. I'd do it every weekend if I didn't have other obligations.

Learn to fish the lakes around you and you won't have to waste valuable fishing time traveling, big fish are everywhere... you just have to find them, and you can't do that if you're running up and down the road.

Yup, local lakes are awesome ..... but there is just something special about going on trips. The added adventure just makes it fun!

around 2.5hrs to a spot where they stock trout in northwest alabama.

i also crash with my B.I.L. 2hrs north as a hub for day trips in north alabama. opens up alot more spots.

i dont do many long trips as up to a hours drive get me to 10+ unique bodies of water.

to go GT popping for 3 hours in Grande Island in Subic Bay, we drive 4 to 5 hours one way, take a 40 minute ferry ride to the island, then hike to the fishing spot. it seems like a crazy/costly effort for 3 hours of fishing, but man, even a single GT is worth it. the trip would have to be timed perfectly with the tides though, otherwise it's a wasted trip.

nearest bass lake to me is minimum 2 hours drive (cartopped boat), it might take longer now that i'm gonna be trailering the boat.

my favorite bass lake is about 6 hours away. is driving all night to the lake, fishing the whole day, and driving home all night still considered a day trip? my wife wants to know........

up here we have 8 different strains of rainbow trout and 2 or 3 of cutthroat
some are huge,some love to jump,some eat only minnows,others just love to pull and run.all have very unique characteristics,but they're spread out all over the place from the coast to the rockies so i have to travel to find the different strains. we don't have many bass lakes up here.

Daytrip closest? 2.1 miles - that'll get me access to 4 major lakes and a huge river chain.

Daytrip farthest? 1.5 hours - that'll get me to either MKE's harbor for winter steelhead in the ice, or GB/Lake Mich.

Keep meaning to get over to the Miss, but that's 3hrs to the other side of the state just to chase cats/bass. 3hrs could also get me to Chain o'lakes and the flowage, which I've done for ice but not with the boat...

up here we have 8 different strains of rainbow trout and 2 or 3 of cutthroat
some are huge,some love to jump,some eat only minnows,others just love to pull and run.all have very unique characteristics,but they're spread out all over the place from the coast to the rockies so i have to travel to find the different strains. we don't have many bass lakes up here.

X2. I've made several week-long trips to BC from Oregon and never been disappointed. And then there's the salt water fishing, in addition.

Latest posts