Did you make your own trolling motor mount for the bow?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Taylor

Reaction score
Specifically to use a transom type trolling motor converted for use on the bow? If so, would you be willing to post a picture? I'm trying to figure out what to make for my square front jon boat. Thanks very much.

Find a piece of 1/4-3/8" think angle aluminum that is 3-4" across the flats, and thru bolt it to the flat horizontal on the bow. You can then bolt some plywood to the angles upright for clamping your motor. Worked like a champ on my last jon. I will be building another shortly for my new boat.

Thanks Apex. I thought of something like that, but there's no room to get underneath to use a bolt/nut underneath the front deck. I need to use something that comes back farther away from the front of boat.

I didn't build this it was on my boat when I bought it. It looks like block but it is hollow inside.
DSC04233.JPG

DSC04245.JPG

DSC04246.JPG

DSC04247.JPG

Was going to take it off when I put the other TM on but I think I will leave it as a backup or I might mount the FF on it.

I made one and tested it for the first time today. It worked excellent and I'll try to get pics up tomorrow.

Andy Taylor said:
Gramps50 said:
It's an extension for steering. It has a foot switch for on/off

How does the extension mount to the shaft? I can't see in the picture. Thanks.

It clamps on the shaft, I take a better picture of it tomorrow and post it. I think it was homemade and not a store bought item but I could be wrong.

I'm having a guy make me a trolling motor bracket out of 11 ga. steel(7" wide) like BassNBob's design. Im trying to keep it as short as possible, but still work well. I need it shorter because I'm going to mount it just off center of the bow(to steer easily when seated) and I don't want to be kicking it or tripping on it. How short of a length can I get away with? It will be screwed down thru 3/4" plywwod and thru original steel deck under plywood. Thanks.

i saw one of those extentions on a boat on the river last week. looked interesting.. so it could be a item that can be store bought.. havent seen many though..

Andy Taylor said:
Thanks Gramps. Is the block around the shaft wood? And what is the handle made out of?

Andy, The whole thing is made out of aluminum the grip is made of hard rubber. I don't know if it came with the motor or what. If you knew someone with a Bridgeport they could make one pretty easy.

Here ya go
https://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_12336_-1?N=927857489

and
https://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_12338_-1?N=927857489

One attaches to the shaft and the other to the handle.

Latest posts