Bilge Pump troubles

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sixgun86

Reaction score
I bought a 500gph bilge and have about 2' of tubing going up about a 1' then exiting the side of the hull. The first couple weeks it worked okay... By this I mean It pumped but doubtful it was doing 500gph. Now it just sprays out, about 1/4 of what it produced before. Nothing has changed, the filter isn't clogged.

Ideas? Bilge Maintenance? Line too long? My boat is a POS and should sink anyways?

I removed the pump and had leaves stuck in mine. maybe some line got wrapped up in the motor?

You said its spraying out.. If its spraying out from the hose,check the hose for clogs too, maybe use a thin gauge clothes hanger cut open and cafefully poke it through the hose only.

Check the impeller in the pump first. If it is clear make sure you have constant voltage to the pump, the worst thing for an electric motor is a drop or rise in voltage, it will eventually kill the motor. My guess is it is what we see here where i work, cheap overseas made pump, they just burn up total garbage. I suggest that if you replace the pump make sure you get a rule or sureflow pump, they have warranties......burn one up, get another one for free. All you have to do is take it back to the dealer and they should replace for you. Keep in mind most of the pumps are made overseas, but at least you can get a pump with a warranty. If that pump is a rule or sureflow take it back to a dealer near you.