New Guy from Charleston, SC

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scedistofisher

Reaction score
Hello to all. My name is Robby and I am new to this site/ forum. I just bought my first boat last Thursday which is a 2006 Lowe 1436. I've gotta say, based on the modifications I have seen just through browsing this site, I am very excited to talk to and acquire the boat building knowledge and ideas y'all have to offer. I can't wait to get my project going and it seems like I came to the right place to do so! Any beginning suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks, Robby

Welcome Robby :) Throw some pics up of your boat and what your plans are and plenty of suggestions and advice will follow

From one South Carolinian to another, welcome aboard! You've found one of the best boat sites on the net. 8)

I see by your screen name you fish the Edisto area, that's some beautiful water down there. A friend of mine used to live on Toogoodoo Creek, he was well-known in that area for being a gunsmith that built serious rifles for sharpshooters.

Welcome to the site Robby, I'm sure you will enjoy it here as I have. I bought my 1st boat back in Feb the the folks here have been very helpful.

I would suggest taking a couple of nights and read through the build threads, you will get a ton of ideas and see what others have done. Then lay out your game plan and get to work.

When you get that far start a build thread and let us know of the progress, don't forget the pictures we all like pictures. :lol:

There is a wealth of knowledge here so don't be afraid to ask question if you get stuck and want to know something.

Hey guys, thank you all for your online hospitality. I will post pics asap! I'm also going to apologize in advance because I plan on picking a lot of your brains for info.

scedistofisher said:
Hey guys, thank you all for your online hospitality. I will post pics asap! I'm also going to apologize in advance because I plan on picking a lot of your brains for info.

:WELCOME: we like picking

Hey I am new to the forum and also live in Charleston. I am interested where you buy all your supplies and what not.

:WELCOME: You have found the best place for you and your boat....you are lucky enough to live within driving distance to PSG-1....he has a wealth of knowledge and will help you, as well as many others on this site. Good luck.

bigwave said:
:WELCOME: You have found the best place for you and your boat....you are lucky enough to live within driving distance to PSG-1....he has a wealth of knowledge and will help you, as well as many others on this site. Good luck.

An interesting coincidence......my PSG-1 is from Charleston....sort of. Actually, a little south of Charleston, Yonges Island, to be specific. A gunsmith there by the name of John Geiges did the barrel and action work to that rifle, which began life as an HK-91. Needless to say, it didn't look (or shoot) like an HK-91 once Geiges got done with it.

At the Palmetto Gun Club, they have an 840 yard range. That rifle, from a bench rest, with the right ammo, is capable of breaking 4 inch clay pigeons on that berm 840 yards downrange. In other words, a 1/2 MOA rifle at 1/2 a mile.
PSG1 .jpg

Oh, BTW, see those little TIG welds joining the reinforcing rails to the receiver of the rifle? Those were done by me, at Geiges' shop.

But I digress. As bigwave said, you're only about 2 hours south of me. So, if you need an axle fabricated for a trailer, need an aluminum boat welded, etc.....I'm right up the road. Take care!

At the Palmetto Gun Club, they have an 840 yard range. That rifle, from a bench rest, with the right ammo, is capable of breaking 4 inch clay pigeons on that berm 840 yards downrange. In other words, a 1/2 MOA rifle at 1/2 a mile.

Now that is what I call reaching out and touching someone......totally awesome.

bigwave said:

Now that is what I call reaching out and touching someone......totally awesome.

Yep, and touching them from far enough away, by the time the sound of the shot reaches the enemy's position, the bullet has already neutralized that hostile, he's no longer going to be a threat to you, your troops, or for that matter, he's also no longer gonna be a threat to freedom and liberty. Tango down.

And the guy that built it (Geiges) was a Dept of Defense contractor for over 20 years, he has built rifles for the military, and SWAT units, not just here in the US, but world wide. Some of his rifles for competition shooters have placed in national, and international events. In other words, built to very exacting tolerances. And they have to be, as each .001" of error at the receiver, equals 1/4" of error at 100 yards, or 2.5" of error at 1000 yards.

Of course, in this AO (Area of Operations) we're talking about coastal marshes, swamps, and floodplains, with densely wooded forests in other areas. 800 yard shots are unheard of, unless you're on a big farm, with a huge, wide open field. Around here, in most hunting situations, or, engagements with a potential enemy, the longest shot is gonna be around 150 yards. And due to the really thick brush and the 'wait-a-minute vines' that are prevalent in this area, a 4 foot long sniper rifle that weighs 20 pounds is honestly an unwieldy weapon to drag around all day.

For hog or deer hunting in this AO, I would grab my Marlin 1894 guide gun in 44 mag, with iron sights and a 16 inch ported barrel. For a SHTF situation, an AK-47, SKS, or an AR-15 is gonna be a good battle rifle.

The PSG-1 is really best suited for a static position, in the role of fire support, as a designated marksman rifle. But it's still a great rifle to take to the range, set on the table, then watch how many people come over to gawk at it and drool......LOL :mrgreen:

Latest posts