How do you take the steering wheel off??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BYOB Fishing

Reaction score
Seems like an easy enough thing to do, but for some reason this one isn't coming off. The last steering wheel I worked with had a bolt holding the wheel to the shaft, and the shaft was keyed. Once the bolt was removed, I was able to pull it right off. This one, there was a nut on the threaded shaft. I removed the nut, and the steering wheel is still firmly seated. I tried to hold the wheel firmly and tap the shaft with a rubber mallet, but it's not moving at all. What gives? Any ideas?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Matt

DSCN8839.JPG

The steering wheel on my starline was same.. i just whacked it eith a mallet till it broke loose.... but you may want to keep yours haha. Ypu may want to rent a steering wheel puller from autozone or similar. Or make one... look up on YouTube if youve never seen or used one

It's most likely a tapered shaft, they can be a lil tough to get off, just take your mallet and gently rap on the outer ring of the wheel, it should work loose off the shaft. If that doesn't get it you might have to use a puller so you don't damage the wheel or the shaft. Just by looking at the pic though that shaft looks fairly clean and not corroded, I am sure you can work it off by rapping on it and maybe use a little penetrating oil. Be careful & good luck

Just use a puller so you don't break anything if you plan on using that wheel again. It would be in your best interest.

Looks like a metal center hub, with plastic molded around it. Could also possible be splined mating surface.
It may help to very carefully warm up the steering wheel hub, without heating up the center shaft, then give it a few well-placed raps with the mallet. The heat will cause the hub center to expand a bit.

Roger

I've had luck pulling steering wheels by spraying some PB blaster where the hub fits onto the shaft, then, screw the nut back on partially to protect the threads, and smacking the nut with a hammer while pulling on the wheel.

PSG-1 said:
I've had luck pulling steering wheels by spraying some PB blaster where the hub fits onto the shaft, then, screw the nut back on partially to protect the threads, and smacking the nut with a hammer while pulling on the wheel.
x2 When not using a puller, that's the second best way I've found to get one off. It helps even more if you can get someone else to smack the nut while you apply equal pressure to each side of the wheel to ensure it's trying to come off the shaft straight.

JMichael said:
PSG-1 said:
x2 When not using a puller, that's the second best way I've found to get one off. It helps even more if you can get someone else to smack the nut while you apply equal pressure to each side of the wheel to ensure it's trying to come off the shaft straight.
+3

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
JMichael said:
PSG-1 said:
+3
x4 works great, I was surprised when it came right off with this technique

Thanks guys, I'll be sure to try those tricks. Hopefully it will work out. One thing that I didn't think of, is the old steering cable that I had planned to use has a keyed shaft, and if this steering wheel has a tapered pin, I don't think that would work. I might have to re-think that plan...

Thanks again!

Matt

Latest posts