Carpet adhesive

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Recon

Reaction score
Okay I ran out of carpet adhesive and have 2 small pieces of flooring to do. Has anybody ever tried using liquid nails to adhere the carpet to the wood???

Recon said:
Okay I ran out of carpet adhesive and have 2 small pieces of flooring to do. Has anybody ever tried using liquid nails to adhere the carpet to the wood???

I have never used liquid nails, I am affraid it would be affected by water.

There are some other threads out here about glue/adhesive too. The Henry's 263 has been proven in tests to be top notch. Since it's a solvent based glue, I called my local carpet shop and will try some of their similiar brand. I will let you know my results.

Liquid nail though a wonderful product will turn the carpet a funny yellowish color and will make the carpet very stiff...

I used liquid nails (exterior grade) to glue the carpet down on my gunwales and it's holding fine. Carpet is a darker gray and hasn't discolored, and my gunwales were stiff already but the carpet nap is still soft.

Just squirt it on with the caulking gun and then spread it with the notched trowel, you really need to mash the snot out of the carpet though... a small roller is best to embed the carpet backing into the adhesive.

bcbouy said:
fyi,liquid nails is used to glue down plywood decks.i dont think its affected by water.

True, but you are forgetting a major variable...water. Most of the adhesives/glues they sell are only water resistant. And most of us end up getting water onto our carpeted plywood decks. Either by sudden rain while fishing or forgetting to put the cover on the boat one night before it rains.
Either way, check out this thread, most of the testing of adhesives is on the second page by Jay415. Liquid Nails is water based and will break down, jeopardizing the integrity of the adhesive bond between the wood and rubber-backed carpet. Not all of us have heated garages to store our boats in either. ;)
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22430

MNHunter505 said:
bcbouy said:
fyi,liquid nails is used to glue down plywood decks.i dont think its affected by water.

True, but you are forgetting a major variable...water. Most of the adhesives/glues they sell are only water resistant. And most of us end up getting water onto our carpeted plywood decks. Either by sudden rain while fishing or forgetting to put the cover on the boat one night before it rains.
Either way, check out this thread, most of the testing of adhesives is on the second page by Jay415. Liquid Nails is water based and will break down, jeopardizing the integrity of the adhesive bond between the wood and rubber-backed carpet. Not all of us have heated garages to store our boats in either. ;)
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22430

I don't know which liquid nails you're using, but the one I use is flammable and petroleum based. You don't want to use it in an enclosed area unless you're looking for a Tommy Chong high.

Latest posts