Where to mount front battery ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Taylor

Reaction score
I'm in the planning process of moving my transom type trolling motor and battery to the front of my jon boat. It's a 1648 flat bottom with a square front. I cannot put battery under the deck because the floor slopes upward toward bow quite a bit. So my 2 choices are on the front floor section right in front of where the deck ends, or 2)on top of the front deck. The deck is carpet over 3/4" plywood. The floor is carpet over 1/2" plywood. What do you guys think? Thanks

3rd choice.
Put the battery in the back and run trolling moter wwire from the front of the boat to the back.This is the best choice

I only have one battery and it's in the back, my TM is in the front. I have 2 8 awg wires running up front to the TM plug

Hotshot and Gramps are probably on the right track here - it will help balance the weight as well if you're on the seat in the front with the motor.

Another option would be possibly to extend the front deck to where it is flat. That of course depends on if there is enough clearance there.

The best bet though is to get some more wire and run it from the back though.

I have one battery, its up front, on the left in the floor. Just behind where the deck rises for the front deck.

Attachments

• 2011-03-08 20.19.47.jpg
    2011-03-08 20.19.47.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 528
haven't mounted mine - yet - but it'll looking to be mount it directly in front of the middle bench centered.

It's also about 85#'s so I'm not planning on moving it much.

hotshotinn said:
3rd choice.
Put the battery in the back and run trolling moter wwire from the front of the boat to the back.This is the best choice

I was hoping to keep this simple, and not have to run and splice wire(and possibly have power loss). I also like hooking the trolling motor up directly to the battery, and not using a plug. I would still keep a battery in back for the depthfinder and lights. The one in front would be for the trolling motor only. No votes for on the front deck. Is that an obviously bad choice for battery? The deck is 44" from front to back. I also have a 25hp outboard on back, so I'm not worried about too much weight in the front. Thanks.

I have an xpress 1450. My battery is mounted in the front deck. We cut a hole out for a hatch and put the battery in there. It's mounted on a piece of 3/4 plywood, which is glued down with 3m 5200. It works well.

Some say not to mount batteries in the front of the boat because the bouncing will ruin the life of the battery. I personally am not worried about that.

I'm leaning toward putting the battery on the front floor. I have to see if the trolling motor wiring will be long enough, but it's gonna be close.

Latest posts