Help with mounting hinges and door cut outs.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MonSteRR

Reaction score
Can anyone help me with any pictures on how to or ideas on hinges for storage compartments on rear built wood deck on 14' tinboat. I need photos for ideas, thank you. i need photos of lids and position of hinges. :|

Attachments

• IMG_1759.JPG
    IMG_1759.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 1,104
I just used piano hinges with the sides hidden (think pointing down) between the opening and the hinge part raised up slightly. It really disappears in the carpeting and works fine. I can try to get a picture tomorrow, but someone might have one here.

heres my aluminum frame,wood deck hatches,with stainless hinges and latches

Attachments

• IMG_2480.jpg
    IMG_2480.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,065
  • IMG_2481.jpg
    IMG_2481.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,065
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,065
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,065
I used aluminum piano hinge on my hatches. I formed it using a leaf break to the proper dimensions. It is also hidden beneath the carpet. See the attached picture to check out how i did it. Yes, I used flat aluminum to edge the hatches. Both hinges and flat aluminum were 1/8" thick and attached to plywood deck using pop rivits.

Untitled-6.jpg

This is a sideview of the hatches installed next to decking the right side is decking and left is the hatch. The black represents hatch and decking. The blue is carpet and the green is the formed piano hinge. If you decide to take this route buy a few extra feet of hinge and purchase the carpet so you can play around with dimensioning. The right side of hinge will need to be formed differently as it sits below two layers of carpet as opposed to one. If you have any questions let me know.

photo3-4.jpg

This is when hatch is open.

photo2-6.jpg

This is camera at deck elevation pointed slightly up from center line of hinge.

photo1-6.jpg

This is the hatch from above.

The aluminum piano hinge i purchased is 4" open meaning when laying flat it measures 4". The pin diameter is 1/8" and the leaf thickness is 1/16". The knuckles are 1/2" long each. I purchased my piano hinge from Mcmaster.com not sure if they ship to residential or not, its a business supply store. I was able to have it shipped to my job as they order stuff from there frequently.