Boat Tipping Over: Back-Heavy

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishinsMyLife

Reaction score
I have a 1542 SeaArk with a 25 Mercury 4 stroke on a 5.5" setback jackplate on the transom. When I got the motor mounted and was sitting on the back bench, the boat (trailer and all) started to tip back. I ran to the front of the boat and kept the motor from meeting concrete.

I had a battery sitting on the front deck today right after I just put a full fuel tank in the back. I wasn't taking the battery to the river with me, but when I lifted that off the boat (while standing outside of it) the boat started tipping back again. I grabbed it and latched it to my trailer hitch and all was well..

Anyone encountered this situation? Short of setting a cinder block on the trailer tongue when the trailer is unhitched, is there much I can do?

Not sure how your trailer is set up, but if you have some tongue length to spare you could move your winch/bow stop forward to get a better weight balance over the axle, since your problem is coming from too much of the weight being behind the axle. Other than transfering weight in the boat and/or weighting the tongue, there's not much else you could do to solve your issue. The condition you described is probably not good while towing either, depending on your boat/trailer weight vs. tow vehicle weight, it could cause handling/trailer ride problems

Captain Ahab said:
Do not sit on the back bench while the trailer is unhooked

I gathered that much on my own :lol:

Trailer rode fine the 10 miles I towed it today. I have very little room to move the winch post forward, but I might could afford a few inches.

How is the axle attached? On some trailers, they are adjustable forward and backwards, by means of U-bolts, or through bolts. This allows the same trailer to be sold with a number of configurations.

On others, they are welded on, so you'd be out of luck there.

Otherwise, the only thing to do would be to add weight to the bow. Tongue light trailers don't tow very well. It may have worked fine on your trip, but on different road conditions, it will be noticeable.

Another option if the axle location isn't adjustable is to extend the tongue, but if you're not 100% confident in your welding abilities it would be best to have a professional do the work. By the time you shell out $100-$300 to hire a weldor, you may as well just pick up a longer trailer off Craigslist though 8)

My father in law has a boat that does the same thing. It drives me crazy! I do not like trailering it at all. My first thought was to move the boat forward, but I don't think I can. I think the current motor is much heavier than what was initially on the boat.

Latest posts