new member 1inch thich plywood

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fast twin18

Reaction score
Alright new to the site but not boats. I`m going to put a transom in a 16ft mon ark. The old transom was 1 inch thick were can i find 1 inch thick plywood. The boat is used for the salt flats and some winter crappie fishing. It has a 91 25 hp evenrude tiller.

It would be cheaper to make your own by screwing and gluing 2 pieces of 1/2" plywood together.

Use PL adhesive and 3/4" stainless steel screws through both sides.

Seal it with epoxy resin or exterior grade Spar urethane, use a minimum of 3 coats.

well i knew a guy that said these mon arks could handle a 50hp motor
I am looking around for a 40hp motor later on. will the 2 half inch plywood glued
to gather be as strong as a single 1 inch peice of plywood

fast twin18 said:
well i knew a guy that said these mon arks could handle a 50hp motor
I am looking around for a 40hp motor later on. will the 2 half inch plywood glued
to gather be as strong as a single 1 inch peice of plywood

It will be stronger. Use 5200, clamp it and give it at least a week to cure. You will tear the plywood apart bebore the glue joint gives. The stuff is used to put decks on boats. Coat it goos with a good marine epoxy suxh as West System and it should last longer than you will.

Titebond III (waterproof) glue will work fine. The wood would tear apart before the glue joint breaks. Just be sure to apply pressure (clamps, weights, whatever) until it bonds. Exterior grade plywood. If you use the West Systems epoxy, be sure to put a coating over the epoxy to protect it from UV light degradation. I used spar urethane over mine to protect the epoxy (this was recommend by the West Systems tech I spoke with at the corporation). Be sure to get all of the edge voids (if you happen to have any) filled completely, and drill the bolt holes a little oversize and coat the insides with epoxy too.

Attachments

• New transom.jpg
    New transom.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 287

Latest posts