boat seats

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DyerBassman

Reaction score
I need to buy two new seats for my 12' Alumacraft after my old ones finally gave way fishing the Kankakee River yesterday. Looking for some input from everyone on pros/cons of seats that are out there. Thanks!

I bought a couple of basic padded folding chairs from Bass Pro Shops. My GF doesn't like to use them on the front bench so took that out after the first trip. I have one left on the middle bench. I usually use the rear bench to drive and fish from and sit on a float cushion. I may even take out the middle seat soon.

I love these. They are durable, comfy, inexpensive, and readily available at most stores.

Boat-Seat.jpg

I was looking at those as an option because they appear to be lightweight. I was a bit concerned about the plastic construction, but most reviews seem positive. Will these work on a pedestal?

DyerBassman said:
I was looking at those as an option because they appear to be lightweight. I was a bit concerned about the plastic construction, but most reviews seem positive. Will these work on a pedestal?
yeah, they have the same mounting pattern on the bottom as most other boat seats. i mounted mine to some 3/4" pin swivleze pedestal hardware.

MrSimon said:
I love these. They are durable, comfy, inexpensive, and readily available at most stores.

Boat-Seat.jpg

That is the exact same seat I use. Mine are now about 4 years old and they're still going strong.

My grandfather gave me a set of those same style that were 15+ yrs old when I first got my boat, they're great and cooler on a hot day then the full back/cushion style. The only downside was the plastic buttons that hold the cushion backing on broke on me so the back cushions are missing, but given their age and price vs. others, one can hardly complain!

i got the tempress hiback navi style after years of cheapo seats.i wouldn't give them up if you pointed a gun at my head.they are a little pricey though.

Who sits down to fish? I'm standing 90% of the time anyway, unless moving the boat or trolling.

I got the wise premium seats, but I thought I paid closer to 60 each on a sale day.

https://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Wise-Premium-Folding-Fishing-Chair&i=76899&aID=506S1B&merchID=4006
It's been 2(?) years now and I fish was a guy 330ish and they hold up fine. He was nervous about breaking one the first time though as the limit was listed at 250. They are holding up fine so far.

There are a lot more ways to fish than flipping rubber worms. I like to sit when I am drifting live bait and when I am trolling for instance.

MrSimon said:

Boat-Seat.jpg

Yep, these are what I use. Go on sale often, reasonably comfortable, last longer than you'd think, and easy to replace if something goes wrong.

MrSimon said:

Boat-Seat.jpg

I have one of these as well, is surprisingly comfortable even for a big guy like me. Only had it for a year, so cant speak to the durability, but it is comfortable.

nlester I love that umbrella set up. My daughter who is 8 asked if I could make something like that for her when she is on the boat.
Looking at your design and another post here if you put a PVC Y connection at the base you would have a rod holder as well. I'm sure it would need a little more support but it wouldn't take much to make it work.

MrSimon said:

Boat-Seat.jpg

Thanks guys! After a useless trip to Cabelas, I went to Gander Mountain and found two of these. 39.99 each, not bad. Now I need to get out there and try them out.....

I got two Wise high backs from walmart...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wise-Folding-Boat-Seat-Duck-Blind-Camo/15135530

They're pretty good. The made a world of difference in comfort over sitting on the flat seats.

Pros: Really strong, good material, strong hardware, and the mounting holes in the bottom are on standard shapes and sizes.
Cons: Cabela's/BassPS sometimes carries the same seat for the same price, and their cammo pattering for the same seat is far better that Walmarts patters. Methinks that the walmarts may be "seconds".

Gear Dog said:
nlester I love that umbrella set up. My daughter who is 8 asked if I could make something like that for her when she is on the boat.
Looking at your design and another post here if you put a PVC Y connection at the base you would have a rod holder as well. I'm sure it would need a little more support but it wouldn't take much to make it work.

Check out :
ttp://www.umbrellae-zmount.com/Welcome.html

Look at the installation instructions.

If you put a rod holder on it, I would not go fishing for big cats.

acabtp said:
There are a lot more ways to fish than flipping rubber worms. I like to sit when I am drifting live bait and when I am trolling for instance.

There are indeed.....

I am a fly fisher, primarily. One of the reasons that I like my little Valco U-12 is that it is a simple hull without a lot of stuff to snag fly lines on, get in the way of casting, etc....

I felt the same way about the 13' Boston Whaler I had some 25 years ago. It had the perfect boat seats for my kind of fishing -a pair of long, cushions covered in white vinyl that ran the full length of the mahogany thwarts. When I get around to modding my boat this winter, I'm contemplating having the same arrangement made up for my U-12.

I do a lot of standing when I fish. But it get gets pretty hot in the places where I like to go, and I'd rather not have a seat back between my back and a cooling breeze, so the kind of boat seats I see a lot of folks use on this site or used on "bass boats" don't do much for me.

My tired old butt, on the other hand, would like something more cushy than bare varnished wood to sit on.

T-C

Latest posts