Holes in side boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coach d

Reaction score
I had the old jon up on it's side during the week. When I lowered it to work on it this weekend there were two holes on the side of the boat that was on the floor. Is this normal? Or should I be concerned?

Coach d said:
I had the old jon up on it's side during the week. When I lowered it to work on it this weekend there were two holes on the side of the boat that was on the floor. Is this normal? Or should I be concerned?

just a wild guess but i think holes in boats are not normal....sorry i couldnt resist. like the others said, post a pic and you will get some great input!

It sounds like a previous owner had something mounted there and removed it. How big are the holes? The easiest way would be to use a bolt, nut, and rubber washers.

Put a small bolt with either nyloc nuts, or a lock washer and nut, goop it up with some 5200 and tighten the bolts down. Use ss hardware and you should never have to worry about it again. If the holes are huge then have someone weld a patch.

Sorry about no pics. They are to dark on the phone to make out what it looks like. Will take some with digital camera when I get home.

There were no holes there before. This is my grandfather's old boat. He had no mods for holes. Just a plain old sears Jon boat bought in 71.

Coach d said:
Sorry about no pics. They are to dark on the phone to make out what it looks like. Will take some with digital camera when I get home.

There were no holes there before. This is my grandfather's old boat. He had no mods for holes. Just a plain old sears Jon boat bought in 71.

Hmm... could be corrosion/pitting possibly? Aluminum does not like dissimilar metals, or treated lumber--and if you leave these other metals touching the hull for any extended period of time, it can and will cause pitting. The process is accelerated if your boat is used in or around salt water applications. If it is pitting, you will want to carefully inspect the entire hull to make sure the affects are just localized and not all over the entire boat.

If this is the case, your best solution would be to clean up the area really well and weld the holes up, or--weld a plate over the bad area if it is corroded down making the metal very thin. You could also drill out the holes and use a rivet to seal the hole, or use a small stainless steel bolts and nuts with some 5200 sealant. Neither the second or third option is ideal, especially if the metal is thinned because of the corrosion process, but it will seal the hole.

In any case, pictures will help to assure we give you the best advise on what exactly is going on.

not the best pics but to me they look like something hit or was hit by something. are the pics from outside or inside the boat? either way it does not look like pitting or corrosion wich is a good thing,...

I think I would get some Marine JB Weld and fill them with it. Overfill a little bit and then sand it down. You could also hammer and dollie the bump out too before your fill it.

Gramps50 said:
I think I would get some Marine JB Weld and fill them with it. Overfill a little bit and then sand it down. You could also hammer and dollie the bump out too before your fill it.

+1

Gramps50 said:

+2

Latest posts