Can it be done?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hockey4019

Reaction score
I want to get a jon boat and convert it my only problem is I have a $1500 budget. I was wondering if its possible. I was looking at a 14 foot or 16 foot jon for around 500 as a ballpark. Less would be great, 500 in a trolling motor/battery. That only leaves 500 for the rest of the project can it be done?! Any help is very appreciated! :)

It sure can! People have done it on here for far less even. Keep your eye open and you can probably get one with a gas motor for under a grand easy depending on where you live. Some of the deals guys have found on here from CL will blow your mind. As for the mod costs it will all depend on what you are wanting to do and how fancy you want to get. I spent about $200-$250 bucks on my mod not including my custom bass boat seats I bought for it. I built 4 dry storage hatches and a front battery hatch/storage area in the bow, rod holder, and carpeted the whole boat from bow to stern. My boat is a deep V-hull also which can be more difficult and expensive than a square type jon boat.

DSCN5606.JPG

Watch CL for trolling motor. Got a foot controlled with depth finder for $150. Sold the depth finder for $75 because I already had one. People upgrade alot I guess. Do some scrounging and be patient. Deals come along but you have to be ready. It can be done for $1500.

Ohh no problem. You could do a simple mod for $1000 no problem.

As previously mentioned, use your local craigslist. I scored my 14ft semi-v with the trailer for $225 (Craigslist purchase). Got the 35hp motor (in running condition, just needed a new prop), steering controls, throttle controls, wiring, and gas tank all for $100 (another Craigslist purchase). I purchased the trolling motor for $30 (purchased from a guy at work), and bought 2 new batteries at $70 each.

That puts me with all the components to make a durable fishing/cruising boat for just under $500. I got another $400 in building materials such as plywood and bracing for the deck and console; carpet & glue; hardware; bottom paint--and about $200 in miscellaneous boating accessories; registrations and licences.

So, i'm just a hair under $1100 for my entire project. If you take out the gas motor and the starting battery for it, that's $170--that puts me well under $1000 total for the project.

One of the advantages that I had, that is a disadvantage for you, is that I bought all my gear off season, while demand was low. Now, demand is as high as it gets--so prices generally will be higher. If I was to sell the boat today, based on what I see similar boats on Craigslist go for--I should have no trouble getting $1500-$2000 out of it

If your interested, check out my build on the 'Jon and V boat Conversion & Modification' page, its the '59 Almuacraft FDR' and see for yourself what I did for $1100.

You can do a lot for very little if you buy smart and are willing to do a little work.

hockey4019 said:
For the deck can regular wood be used or does it have to be marine grade?

Most people on here who chose wood decks all use 1/2" Exterior Grade plywood. It cost about $25 per 4x8 sheet at your local lowes/home depot. Marine grade is not nearly as readily available, and cost almost 3x's as much. Make sure you seal it up well, most people recommend using exterior spar urethane or epoxy resin (especially the edges) and it will last dozens of years.

Bigkat has a very good point about when to buy and like he said now is not the time, although they are still deals out there. Just harder to find in the summer.

If you are trying to save money by going all electric, that can be a mistake. Many deals out there on good running 5 to 15 hp gas outboards in the $200-300 range. For that money you could still get a $100 trolling motor, $80 battery, and $25 charger and make the $500 engine budget.

For me it was the little things that added up quick, a tube of 5200, a hinge here and there, and worst of all was stainless hardware.

Latest posts