Tracker 1436 Capacity

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SantaClo

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Last weekend I bought a new Tracker 1436 to use on a small electric-motor-only lake near my house.

I'm a little worried with the maximum capacity of 580lbs, and I would like to know your experiences with the tracker 1436 or a similar jon boat. First is the written capacity of 580lbs the total capacity (motor, battery, people)? Also, do you think I'd have problems if I go fishing with 2 buddies and an electric motor (200 lbs x 3 + electric motor + battery) ?

Thanks a lot! :)

Yes the capacity sticker means all....... motor and everything. And you should be fine with 2 buddies in it. I regularly exceed the capacity of my 14' V hull tin by 100 lbs or so without any issues. But if you get into big water or big waves it then can become a problem. The more weight you have in a smaller displacement means a longer time for recovery from one wave to the next. Meaning the boat will not come up as fast from the low point/ditch in the wave, and this can lead to water coming over the rail.

Your gonna be way overweight with 3 people in that boat. 600 lbs of people + 100 lbs of battery and motor + cooler(s), tackle boxes x 3 + rods + net + anchors + fish baskets + other misc gear. Don't kid yourself, it all adds up, even life preservers weigh something. You are asking for trouble in any kind of water other than calm, maybe even in calm water, things happen when fishing.

I was assuming each person weighed about 175 lbs which would be 525 lbs and then another 30 for trolling motor 60 for battery and 50 for poles and cooler. That puts him at about 665 lbs which he should not have a problem with. If your buddies and you each weigh 200+ I would re think your plan

I have a Sea Nymph that is somewhere in that rating and I have had my two friends on it with me many times with me in the 14 yrs. that I've had it. They are about 190 I am 175lbs. The battery is probably 40lbs. Plus I have a 15hp motor on it(75lbs ?). We go fishing and crabbing without problem. Well just don't try and all stand at the same time :lol: . I think you will be ok on the pond and small lakes and some rivers but any real choppy water it would be best to stay out of. Once you go you will find your comfort zone.
Scott

Thanks for all your responses.

The lake where I will be using it is mostly very calm water.

I'll assume than a little overweight would be ok, and will give it a try this saturday! :LOL2:

I had a 2006 Tracker 1436 and the rating was 628 pounds. Why was there a 50 lb drop?

You should be fine on an electric lakes. Just don't make any sudden moves and keep the weight as low in the boat as possible.

My usual load was:
Me: 240 lbs
Buddy: 200lbs
3 batteries: 189 lbs
Trolling Motors: 45 lbs
Wood decking: 30 lbs
Seats, mounts, gear, & cooler: 30 lbs
Total: 734 lbs
I was well over the limit, but it never felt unstable or unsafe, even in light chop and others peoples wake.

Thanks Butthead, this is exactly the kind of answer I was looking for, someone who own a tracker and uses it at full capacity!

Interesting that the 1436 did lose 50 lbs capacity over the years... Mine it says:

3 persons OR 375 lbs
580 lbs

I assumed it is 580lbs max capacity, and 375lbs max weight for a person. Am I right?

3 persons or 375 lbs means you can have one 375 lb man in the boat or 3 small china men at 125lbs each :lol:

SantaClo said:
Thanks Butthead, this is exactly the kind of answer I was looking for, someone who own a tracker and uses it at full capacity!

Interesting that the 1436 did lose 50 lbs capacity over the years... Mine it says:

3 persons OR 375 lbs
580 lbs

I assumed it is 580lbs max capacity, and 375lbs max weight for a person. Am I right?

It's 375 lbs TOTAL for all people aboard, 580 lbs TOTAL for people, gear, and motor.
The ratings may have been dropped due to the increased weight of the 4 stroke versus 2 stroke motors and because the 2012 is rated for a 15hp motor. The 2006 was only rated for a 10hp.

The one big difference between my setup and yours will be the weight placement. I had about a third of my total weight on the floor. The majority of yours will be a lot higher and that will make the boat feel a lot more unstable/tippy. Sudden movements can easily send an inexperienced, standing boater overboard, so be cautious for a while.

Just to add perspective, my buddy used to fish three guys out of an old 1980's 12' Lowe jon. It sat pretty low in the water but they did fine. No one EVER stood up though, ha-ha.

Okay I understand.

If I forgot my 3 guys fishing for the moment and concentrate on a normal family fishing day I would be:

Me : 220lbs
My Wife : 130 lbs
My kids : 80lbs together
Minn Kota 30 : around 20lbs
1 battery : around 50lbs
Fishing gear : maybe 10lbs
Snack and beer : maybe 10lbs

Total person : 430lbs
Total gear : 90lbs
Grand total : around 520lbs

I do exceed person total capacity but I'm still in the total capacity range. Would I be okay?

Johny25 said:
3 small china men at 125lbs each :lol:

...and dude, chinamen is not the preferred nomenclature, asian american please
:LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2:

What can I say...... I lack political correctness. And I am at the age that I really don't care anyway lol. I am a Polack....... need I say more :lol:

Johny25 said:
What can I say...... I lack political correctness. And I am at the age that I really don't care anyway lol. I am a Polack....... need I say more

No apologies necessary, it's a quote from one of the funniest movies ever made.

SantaClo said:
I do exceed person total capacity but I'm still in the total capacity range. Would I be okay?

You should be fine as long as you are within the total capacity range and aren't trying to hang all that capacity off the bow or transom.

T-C

Latest posts