How Much Rustoleum Bed Liner To Get??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am looking at sealing the bottom of my boat with the 3M 5200 and then putting Rustolem Bed Liner on the bottom starting at the water line and working down. I have a Sears 1436 flatbottom. How much do you guys think I should get of the Rustoleum Bed Liner???

Spray Can???
Roll-On??

Thanks

you are heading off in the wrong direction :shock: turn back :shock:
:shock: bed liner on the bottom of your boat :shock:

This is coming from what other people have told me. I was gonna do the same I thought it would help protect it cause I has seen others do it to. You dont want to though just use steelflex or something like that. you want it to be smooth on the bottom.

theyyounggun said:
This is coming from what other people have told me. I was gonna do the same I thought it would help protect it cause I has seen others do it to. You dont want to though just use steelflex or something like that. you want it to be smooth on the bottom.
I wonder if the rough bottom is an old wives tale. I have a buddy at work (ex-boat mechanic)and he says you want the bottom rough for more speed. Supposedly the rough bottom creates air bubbles. It's probably been discussed before but I'm too lazy right now to do a search.

Still not seeing what the issue would be...I am wanting to use it because i fish in some shallow, rocky arease and areas with large stumps, I also will beach my boat on islands. As far as it creating drag, that theory isn't correct...Racing boats actually use similar coatings because the texture creates air which reduces the drag. Also, I know it does actually help seal as well. I used it in the bed area of a leaky Argo that is now water tight! Other than that I don't see what the issue would be. Not trying to be a jacka** , just looking for specifics.

I Herculined just the seams and the center chine on my tinny. I predominatly beach load, so I wanted something stronger than paint to hold up to the hull being drug on sand and gravel. I went through two quarts of the stuff to do the seams and the transom pads. Leave the spray cans for touch ups.

ckr74 said:
theyyounggun said:
I wonder if the rough bottom is an old wives tale. I have a buddy at work (ex-boat mechanic)and he says you want the bottom rough for more speed. Supposedly the rough bottom creates air bubbles. It's probably been discussed before but I'm too lazy right now to do a search.
when applied properly, steelflex has the dimpling you are talking about to reduce friction with the water surface. it is not supposed to be a smooth finish.

A few years back, I put Herculiner on the bottom of my Riverhawk B52. A brand new boat with a brand new trailer. The Herculiner created so much friction the boat wouldn't slide off the trailer into the water. Made it a nightmare to trailer.

Additionally, on my second or third trip out with the boat, I was getting out of the water on a steep ramp and managed to bang the nose into the concrete. The Herculiner scraped right off.

Never again. Stuff is worthless for boats as far as I'm concerned.

If you want something good to seal potential leaks, Steelflex is a proven product (as are others) that many on this board have used with great success. Additionally, they don't contain chunk rubber that'll cause drag when trying to put your boat in.

Just my .02,

Dave

Latest posts