Newb's first post ... looking for guidance

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knolltop314

Reaction score
The Wife and I are recently retired. We've just moved nw of St Louis. It's been a ton of years since doing bit of fishing, but would like to get back into it. Fishing locales will likely be the streams/creeks/rivers, ponds, and small lakes of the area.

I've owned a couple canoes, but no boats. Given the inexorable advance of time, I think it's time we "graduated" to a boat.

So I've come to the knowledge base of this forum for some sage advice!

Following seems to be our requirements/needs (in no particular order):
** shallow draft ... for those streams/creeks/rivers
** room for 2 adults ... ie 400 lbs.
** easy to unload/load from trailer
** STABLE

So ...... what's your advice re boat type and size?

Am looking forward to all the advice/reasonings ya'll are willing to provide!

Michael

16 foot Mod. V style hull will suit you just fine and work well in rivers and lakes

Enough room but not so big that it will be too heavy to launch alone

Put guide ons posts on your trailer

and use the slick bunks and it is easy

You can get one bare bones and put a simple deck on it or find one that is already built

Good boating

Welcome to Tinboats! You will find a wealth of knowledge on this site and a lot of really great members. My wife and I also fish together. I would suggest a 1448 or a 1648 MV. Check out our build below my signature.

I too would recommend something in the 14-16 foot range either v or MV and atleast 48" wide but the wider the better.

Good Luck and :WELCOME: to the best site on the WWW

Welcome!! I hope you two catch tons of fish and enjoy your time together. You've earned it!

I also recommend a 1448 mod-V.

Depending on your budget, something like the Tracker Grizzly 1448 would be really great. Its an all welded boat which means it will handle running in shallow creeks and rivers without developing leaky rivets. Its bullet proof, yet simple. The open floor plan is great for walking around without tripping over benches and what not.

They are a little pricey compared to used boats or basic riveted jon boats though.

GRIZZLY-1448-Jon_img10985_900.jpg

GRIZZLY-1448-Jon_img10986_700.jpg