FLAT BOTTOM OR MV

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOE

Reaction score
Eventually I want to upgrade from my 1436 to a 1648. I fish rivers and bays. I really like flat bottom boats, but was wondering how much better do mv's handle chopy water. I would imagine a lot better. Not sure I like the floors in a mv though. And is there any difference in the amount of draft between the two. I don't want to loose the capability of going through shallow water. I would probably rig it for floundering on ocasion. Aslo, are they as stable as a flat bottom?

They are as stable and draft about the same amount of water ... after all, the majority of the bottom is still flat.

The slight V on the bow does help a little with choppy water, but not a lot, and not nearly like a true V-hull. A mod-v running in choppy water will still beat you up pretty bad.

A decent amount of manufacturers tend to build their mod-v's out of thicker aluminum than the flat fronts - so if you are looking in the used market, there is a good chance mod-vs will be thicker and heavier .... you may or may not like that.

MrSimon said:
A decent amount of manufacturers tend to build their mod-v's out of thicker aluminum than the flat fronts

:shock: No kidding, I have yet to see this in the literature. Which manufacturers are you speaking of? Want to know what to avoid in case I ever go new.

I noticed Alumacraft's MV is 320lbs and their flat is 290lbs. but same hull thickness.

Unless the MV is noticeably better in chopy water, I will probably go with the flat. Of course I will be buyinh used so it will really boil down to what I can find when money gets right.

Thanks for the input

The 2011 Alumacraft catalog lists the 1648MV as 280 lbs and the 1648 as 285. All other models seem to show a similar pattern.

Tracker flat bottoms are riveted and the MV's are welded. They don't list matching sizes for the two so can't compare weight. The welded MV's are quite a bit more expensive though.

They don't ride much different in chop but generally you get a little less wet in a MV in my opinion. Yes they are more expensive but it's welded. Even though tinboats are nearly maintenance free, welded Jon boats are even more maintenance free. Either one will last a long time.

Latest posts