Necessity of elevated decks?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tele-Caster

Reaction score
There are a bunch of really nice modded tinnies on this site. Most seem to involve the addition of elevated decks. From an angling perspective, what is the advantage to having raised decks in a smallish 12 to 14 foot tin boat?

I'm kind of a multi-species guy, but I've been focused on fly fishng tackle and technique for a long time and haven't used spinning tackle or baitcasting tackle since the late 1980's, so I'm thinking that the advantage of elevated casting decks might have something to do with angling techniques that I'm largely ignorant about.

My old Valco U-12 works pretty darn good for me in basically unaltered form. The thwart seat tops are thrashed and well past needing replacement, and the Zolotone paint of the interor looks terrible. When summer draws to a close, I'm thinking about fixing the seat top / paint issue, but also thinking about mods I might want to make while I am at it, and that is what is prompting my question about the advantage of elevated decks on small boats like mine.

T-C

Its really a preference thing. Some guys (like me) just love being able to move around on an elevated platform that allows good visibility into the water. It also makes it very convenient to operate a foot controlled trolling motor while fishing. It also allows for a very large amount of under-deck storage.

Personally, I will never own another boat that doesn't have a front deck .... its just so darn nice to fish from.

But with all that said ... if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If your boat works for you, that's all that matters.

Makes fishing easier depending on style and species. Like was daid. Being able to see i to water much easier depending on clarity. Sides of boat arent in way of casting when using certain techniques. Ive taken the fly rod oit in my boat and im glad. i had a deck. More moving spaceand being above waterline seems to make it easier. Also mean a flat surface to stand on and storage underneath you... no more clutter

MrSimon said:
It also makes it very convenient to operate a foot controlled trolling motor while fishing.

Thanks to Mr. Simon for the contribution above! I hadn't considered foot-controlled trolling motor operation while fishing.

But with all that said ... if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If your boat works for you, that's all that matters.

It does work well for me as is, but I can see room for improvement with storage. My tackle is pretty minimal - I usually only bring one rigged fly rod and everything else I need (flies, tippets and leaders, tools) fits in a small chest pack. And I've got a landing net I bring. That's about it, so my boat doesn't get too cluttered. Still, storage would be nice....

I used to have a 13' Boston Whaler that used the daylights out of and I foolishly sold to make way for a larger fiberglass boat that became an expensive lawn ornament. Regretted that ever since....

But the more I think about it, the ideal boat to me would be my current "can" with an interior layout like my old Whaler had. It had a bow locker for ground tackle and docking lines, and a box built in to the rear of the seat back for storage.... In fishing out of it, I would stand on the middle thwart and strip line off in front of me. Standing on the seat wasn't so much to see fish better but simply to keep my feet divorced from the stripped-in fly line in the bottom of the boat. I do the same thing with my Valco, for the same reason....

Also, having that raised area in the bow of the Whaler made the thing easier to get in and out of in certain situations. I think a similar arrangement in my little Valco might yield the same benefit.

T-C

I also primarily fly fish, and a raised deck is certainly an advantage in sighting fish, enhancing your casting form, etc. But for a small hull (1244 v) I was satisfied just clearing clutter and adding covered storage. I do frequently stand up (on the floor) to cast. Plus, any boat seems deluxe when you are used to fishing from a float tube, lol. Another consideration with a small hull is adding weight. I am good for 20.5 mph (gps) with a 9.9, and I am reluctant to add much weight , then have to add horsepower, then ,,,Decking will have to wait for a larger hull; my next will be at least 16 ft. But honestly I am not in any real hurry.

From an angling perspective, what is the advantage to having raised decks in a smallish 12 to 14 foot tin boat?

For me it's all about flippin' and pitchin' jigs for bass.

Driftingrz said:
Makes fishing easier depending on style and species.

I assumed as much, but what I don't fully understand is how. The only thing I can think of is being a little higher equals better visibility in the water - like when I take my boat down to Texas and push-pole from standing on the rear thwart when looking for red drum and "specks."

I know tournament bass boats are set up with casting decks but since I don't use the same tackle they use to do the same thing (catch freshwater black bass), I guess I don't fully understand what the advantage is or how it makes things easier. I'd rather not wallow in ignorance, so if "Driftingriz" would be willing to flesh out his quote above, I'd be DEEPLY appreciative.

Sides of boat arent in way of casting when using certain techniques.

They're never in my way when casting a fly rod now, even if I stand on the floor of the boat. Is there some kind of casting method with, say, a baitcasting outfit, wherein one begins the cast with the rod tip low and flips or flicks upward to provide momentum to propigate the cast? I'm guessing that such might be the case, but I am pretty ignorant when it comes to angling with anything other than fly tackle.

Ive taken the fly rod oit in my boat and im glad. i had a deck. More moving spaceand being above waterline seems to make it easier. Also mean a flat surface to stand on and storage underneath you... no more clutter

A pal of mine in California bought a fiberglass flats boat that I've fly fished from in San Diego Bay and Mission Bay. Each time it was windy and stripping the line on the deck resulted in the line getting blown around or even off the deck, so I woud up bringing a stripping basket when in his boat. Never bothered with one in my Whaler and normally don't in my current tin. That flats boat was definitely uncluttered though, and that was nice. Very nice, indeed.

Storage and no clutter -even though I'm pretty minimalist with tackle- is certainly appealing!

T-C

rickybobbybend said:
I also primarily fly fish, and a raised deck is certainly an advantage in sighting fish, enhancing your casting form, etc. But for a small hull (1244 v) I was satisfied just clearing clutter and adding covered storage. I do frequently stand up (on the floor) to cast.

On my little 12' Valco, standing on the rear seat does make it a bit easier to push-pole the thing on saltwater flats and I suppose I can probably see the fish better from that slightly elevated position v. standing on the boat's bottom. Actually, there's no doubt about that last bit, even though the difference in height isn't all that much.

Plus, any boat seems deluxe when you are used to fishing from a float tube, lol.

Boy, ain't that the truth! Casting a fly rod while sitting down is best described with a word that starts with "s" and rhymes with "ducks." A buddy of mine called my J.W. Outfitters kickboat a "shark donut." I used it in saltwater mostly. He built me an 8' pram that I still have. Much nicer than a tube!

Another consideration with a small hull is adding weight. I am good for 20.5 mph (gps) with a 9.9, and I am reluctant to add much weight , then have to add horsepower, then ,,,Decking will have to wait for a larger hull; my next will be at least 16 ft. But honestly I am not in any real hurry.

That is part of the reason why I'm being a bit anal with the deck question. I don't want to add real weight to my "can" for a feature that I might not get much benefit from. One of the reasons why I like my "can" is that it doesn't weigh much and doesn't draw much water. With me in it and my Johnson tilted up, I can pole it in less than six inches of water. And for being aluminium, it doesn't slap much.... With a 20 horse 2 stroke, it'll run fast enough to almost be scary (hull is rated for max 20 hp). I'm running a 10 horse Johnson QD 21 on it now and it runs a tick over 20 mph.... Wouldn't want to go much slower....

I don't really want a larger hull, personally -other than perhaps a 14' Valco would draw less water with the same load than my 12 footer does. But what I've got is the biggest that'll fit in my garage and living in Oklahoma, I like keeping my boat out of the harsh weather.

T-C

hey tele-caster, i never really understood how it would make it easier, more convenient or better but let me tell you the first time i fished up front on a bow deck(long long time ago lol!) i understood real quick! i cant really explain it any better than the rest of the guys but put one on and you will understasnd real quick too.....

its really nice to not have all the junk we need on board all over the floor when flyfishing. nothing to snag lines or to trip over.sure it adds a little weight,but i personally think the extra weight is worth it.

Is there some kind of casting method with, say, a baitcasting outfit, wherein one begins the cast with the rod tip low and flips or flicks upward to provide momentum to propigate the cast?

Flippin' and pitchin' jigs.

As primarily a catfisherman, I always used to be dismissive of elevated decks, figuring they were just for bass fisherman. After a few months with my current boat, I don't think I would ever want to go back to fishing from a low floor. There is no disadvantage that I can see to having decks, other than if the boat is too narrow and becomes unstable, but since you stand up on your benches now I don't think that would be a problem

Sorry i didnt elaborate more. It gets tiresom typing these post out from my phone. It 2 others beat me to it. Pitchin and flippin. Search it on youtube for examples. Also just fishing with lures that require rod movement for action. If your low in boat your just gonna be bangin the rod on the gunwales

Just added a low deck to my 12' V, mostly to get back some more usable fishing space without having a "V" shaped pit for the anchor and cooler to bang around in. I was nervous at first about modding it, but in the end I think it'll be one of the best decisions I've made for the boat.

Unfortunately it opens a Pandora's box of more things I want to add to the boat now, and since I've already started putting holes in things...

You're question was directed at smaller boats, 12-14ft. I have a 14ft sem-V, and I put a slightly raised deck on the front of my boat. I kept it minimal because I don't want the boat to feel tippy, but it was a good compromise to get slightly more footing up there. I'm a big guy, and I think if I had a really high deck, I would feel like the center of gravity is too high and it would just feel unnatural to me. In addition, some of the bodies of water I plan on using the boat on this summer can get 3+ foot waves on it. While I do not plan on using the boat on those days, I feel safer if the boat is pitching violently when I'm as low in the boat as possible.

With that being said, a taller deck makes pitching jigs easier, makes using a foot control trolling motor easier, and makes seeing into the water for spot fishing easier. My trolling motor has a tiller handle so no foot control, and I don't really spot fish--and I figure I can make due with the current set-up. Its all about personal preference. Think about the size of your boat, the waters you fish, and what your needs are.

I added my front deck because the stock seat in the bow was too small. If anybody went fishing with me they usually ended up sitting in the middle seat.

Another reason is that I've always fished standing up unless I'm in a kayak. Standing on a flat surface like the seat is ideal rather than standing on the V or the ribs of my boat. I added the deck so I have a bit more surface area to stand on/move around.

devilmutt said:
Is there some kind of casting method with, say, a baitcasting outfit, wherein one begins the cast with the rod tip low and flips or flicks upward to provide momentum to propigate the cast?

Flippin' and pitchin' jigs.

Ahhhhh..... I can see where: 1) having a farily low profile, minimal freeboard boat, and; 2) having said boat fitted with decks flush with or nearly flush with the gunnels would be kinda nice for that, now that I've done a little research on "flippin'" and "pitchin'."

Thanks!

T-C

I've got to admit that I felt kind of ignorant for asking the question that got this thread rolling. That stated, whoever said "Ignorance is bliss" is a liar. Edification is much better.

Thanks to all for providing that! I've got a MUCH better understanding of how elevated decks can be a HUGE benefit for some anglers now, and that's better than wallowing around in ignorance.

T-C

I recently modified my Triton 1650 SC because I didn't like their split-level deck design, it was a constant trip hazard. I built it all up to the same level, so it's a huge front platform, like 5 foot by 5 foot. Also, building the platform up allowed me to move my fuel tanks and batteries forward, eliminating the boat's tendency to porpoise.

When I build my next jetboat, I plan to have an elevated floor, but not just the height of the ribs like most floors. I'm going to build it up at least 6 inches, so it's higher than the water line, so I can install scuppers and have a true self-bailing deck. And all that extra space underneath will allow me to put in a LOT of flotation foam. In other words, between the self-bailing deck with massive scuppers and lots of foam should give me a boat that is just about unsinkable under any conditions.

Latest posts