transom question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitemtnzj

Reaction score
hey everyone, i have a 12 foot aluminum jon boat, brand unknown, i am not using my motor this year, there used to be wood on the inside and outside of the transom that i removed, question is, do i need to put wood on the transom for any reason other than motor mounting?
386480_10100101756775825_42419223_41691577_858091193_n.jpg

When I got my 1436 jon there wasn't any wood in the transom I'm guessing it was like this for awhile as they did put wood to back up the 2 handles. You could put a 1x4 across the interior so you can lift it by the handles you won't do any damage.

whitemtnzj said:
hey everyone, i have a 12 foot aluminum jon boat, brand unknown, i am not using my motor this year, there used to be wood on the inside and outside of the transom that i removed, question is, do i need to put wood on the transom for any reason other than motor mounting?
There may be some structural strength added by the wood. Not having this strength may cause effects such as flexing, etc. The effects may cause structural damage such as loose rivets, leaking, etc. You are better off to go ahead and repair your transom before using your boat I'm thinking.

thanks for the responses, i am in a rush and have a bass tournement tomorrow, so i went ahead and got some white pine and finished it with waterproof sealer and bolted it up and sealed the bolts with 3m 5200, threw her in the lake and its not leaking

Latest posts