Rod locker hatch open inward or outward? (Poll)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hinge the rod hatch/lid to open inward or outward?

• 1. Hinge the hatch/lid to open outward so the hatch/lid will be out of your way.

Votes: 11 91.7%
  • 2. Hinge the hatch/lid to open inward, reaching over the lid to access the rods isn't that big a de

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DaveInGA

Reaction score
The rod locker in my Tracker Tournament V17 originally had half of the locker (the rod tip end) covered with a piece of carpeted plywood, which rotted out. So I'm going to have to replace it. I've been considering having either a single half-hatch made to replace the wood or a longer hatch made to replace both the original wood section and the aluminum section.

The original aluminum hatch/lid is about half the length of the rod locker and from the looks of it, it would have been kinda tough putting rods in and out of the locker with access to only half the locker. Additionally, I'm thinking of installing rod holders in the locker to organize the rods and protect the rods a bit better. (I don't use a ton of rods, generally not more than 6 at a time when I fish, prefer to have the space well organized.) Having a full length rod locker hatch/lid would facilitate getting rods in and out easier. I am reasonably sure I would be better off getting a full-length hatch/lid made so I can more easily place the rods in a rod holder in the rod locker.

What I'm not as sure about is where I hinge the locker. The original hatch/lid was hinged next to the hull and opened outward. The hinge was actually riveted with solid rivets through the exterior hull.

I am thinking of hinging so the rod hatch/lid opens inward. Potential benefits are nothing tossed overboard and slightly easier access when loading the rod lockers from outside the boat at home. Potential negatives are it would make accessing the rod locker more awkward from inside the boat, because of the layout of the locker/seating space, I can't make the lid hinge to hang down against the exterior of the rod locker.

I'm putting out a poll and I'd like to get you fellas to vote and help me decide.

Something that makes getting rods in and out of rod lockers and out of rod holders easier is to get some rod socks. They're like 5 bucks apiece from Tackle Warehouse or Bass Pro and save tangling line constantly. I just recently bought some and would never go without them again.

...if "inward" is the way I'm picturing it, you're going to have to give up storage space to allow room for the door. Also, if it is upward facing, you'll never be able to sit/stand on it. No lock will hold up to that kind of stress.

I can see the an advantage both ways depending on if your in or out of the boat.

Opening in

Pros
Easier access from outside
If something is laying on it, the items would slide into the boat

Cons
A little harder getting the rods in and out

Opening out

Pros
Easier to get rods in & out from inside the boat

Cons
Harder to access rods from outside the boat
If something is laying on the lid it could end up in the drink

Not sure how it could be done or if it could be done, how about lid that would open both ways.

Latest posts