Can it be done?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanF

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've been lurking on this site for quite a while now, trying to learn as much as possible before I potentially start my own V-hull conversion. I am by no means an expert carpenter/fabricator/engineer, but I would like to give it a shot.

I found a boat for sale nearby that is in my price range. Its an old Aerolite (or Aeroliner?) 16' aluminum V-hull with a 9.5hp Eska (Tecumseh) motor. Aside from the poorly done interior, it appears to be in decent shape. However, it is a closed bow with a steering wheel (it has a tiller motor so the steering wheel is for appearances only now). Does anyone have any experience with removing the closed bow on one of these or something similar? I assume it can be done, it would just need to be braced up a little bit. Or would a guy be better off just cutting out a section of it and leaving some for structural support? I'd like to have a bit of a raised casting deck in front, and the rest of it would be a relatively open floor.

If I do buy this boat I'll try to post some pictures because I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions...

Thanks for now.

I read the title and jumped on it.. Can it be done? Anything can be done with enough time and money. Real question is it worth the time and money? In my case, absolutely. Standing in rough water is so much nicer than sitting.

Good eye Vermonster!

In my situation there was enough supports to keep the gunnels taught and secure. Also a friendly neighbor that owns a cutting wheel. I keep him supplied with disc's. Feel bad.. Used it more than him this summer.. I did cut his yard though!

Yes it can be done, I have seen a couple of these mods on a couple different sites. Most of the time people leave a bit for a trolling motor mount. Post some pictures if you follow through!

Thanks for the replies guys. I like what you did with your boat sixgun.
Maybe I should have named the thread "Should it be done?" instead.
My brother-in-law and I picked up the boat today and started gutting it, because we really don't like the current setup. I took some before pictures too, and if time permits I will post progress pictures. I'll definitely be asking more questions as we go.

Latest posts